Burning in the past

(Ricky's POV)

"Ricky" it was like music to my ears, the sound of my beloved Alice's voice. Sweeter than I remembered it from the past. I stood rooted to the spot as Alice's body falls to the dirt floor.

"Mama!" The unknown children cry as they drop to the ground beside Alice's still body. Long strides has me at Alice's side quickly.

"She fainted." My voice is full of concern.

The girl quickly runs into the street screaming for help. A royal guard appears immediately.
"Get away from her!" The guard yells pulling out his sword. I am quick to back away into the corner with Mandy and our daughter Sarah.

"What happened to Queen Alice?"the guard asks the two children.

"Mama fell to the ground when that man came into the room!" The little girl answers pointing at me. The guard lifts Alice in his arms calling for the children to follow him as he hurries out and down the street toward the inn.

"Ricky why is she here?" Mandy whispers furiously in my ear. In slow motion I sit down at the table trying hard to believe I have seen Alice in my house. I did not think it would ever happen after being banished, but I have never forgotten her, never stopped loving her. Now she has stepped back into my life uninvited and unannounced. I wonder what Alice will think of me having a child with Mandy after I swore to Alice I did not love Mandy. How could she believe me? She has proof just by looking at Sarah. Surely Alice can understand how difficult life has been after being banished, it would be natural to reach out, even if it was to Mandy. Surely Alice would realize that. Would she not?

Sarah's tiny voice breaks into my thoughts, "Papa what is wrong?" Her concern is heart breaking.

"Nothing my little angel. Go play so Mama and Papa can talk please Sarah." My voice is soft but firm. Sarah nods as she heads off to play quietly.

Mandy who is glaring at me stands with her arms crossed. "You still have feelings for her? Even after what she did to us!" She snapped.

"Calm down Mandy, you will upset Sarah." My voice is pleading.

"You cannot leave us Ricky, it is not just me but Sarah too!" Mandy screams.

How did Mandy know my thoughts? Would I really leave them behind if Alice would take me back? My mind closes around that question as darkness slides into the night sky.

(Alice's POV)

"Ricky!" I gasp as I sit up quickly.

"Mama!" Ben and Emma say together as they pop their heads up from the bedside where they have been waiting for me to open my eyes. My eyes flitted around the room telling me I am once more back at the inn. Dazed I realized James is also there concern showing on his face. I try to smile but fail instead allowing a frown to cover my face.

"I am sorry Alice. I did not understand what you said a moment ago. Tell me again my love." James is kneeling beside the bed, holding my hand, the fingers of his other hand brushing up and down my cheek with tenderness.

"I am sorry husband, I am overcome by shock." I breathe deeply, pulling as much air into my body as I can. How will I tell the man I call husband that my true love is still alive and I have seen him in the flesh?

"Why? What could cause you to be so shocked that you would faint?" His voice is steady but demanding.

Looking desperately at the children I continue. "You see the children and I were out exploring the village, they were having quite the adventure. Emma made friends with a small girl called Sarah. A beautiful little darling that was so excited for Emma to see her home. We followed her home where she told her mother about her new friend. The woman turned around," my voice grew weaker in disbelief again as I recalled the memory. "James it was Mandy, the servant girl you banished so many years ago. I was shocked speechless. How surprised I was when Ricky stepped around the corner, alive. What can I say, i was so overcome i fainted."