Give In

(Alice's POV)

I laid in the arms of my new husband very unhappy and un pain. Snoring lightly he knew nothing of my pain. I moved a bit hoping to find a more comfortable spot but felt the king's arm tighten. Silently I shed tears as I now understand what my future will be. Married to the king, bedded against my will and he is already hoping to produce children. The future does not look promising for me to find any happiness.

I lay awake watching the dark sky begin to lighten. Movement beside me draws me away from my dark thoughts as I see James smile at me.

"Good morning my love." He said and kissed my lips gently. It is not good in my opinion so I remain silent. He sighs, his frustration beginning to show. "You are my wife Alice, what we did last night was what happens between a man and his wife. A little pain is always felt the first time, it will get better and you will enjoy yourself more as we continue to practice making our children." He slipped out of bed, pulling on his clothes. "You may rest today if the pain is great."

"I want to see Dorothy. I want to ensure she is alive and healing from her injuries. Please James. Then I will return here to rest." I pleaded.

He looked at me thoughtfully before agreeing. "You can see her."

I sighed in relief stepping into a dress that had been laid on the table for me overnight. The king took my hand and led me out the room. I thought it good that James  was coming with me as he led me down many, many sets of stairs until we reached the dungeons. Cold, dark and damp the halls were lit only by torches placed at long spaces along the hallway. I could hear cries of pain from behind the doors as we walked along. "She is in this one." The king said and unlocked the cell door.

I gasped in horror, Dorothy was curled up in a corner shaking in fear. Dried and fresh blood still dripped out of and around her many wounds. Chains around her wrists and ankles. Her eyes glazed over in pain were filled with fear. I started to step towards her but his hand stopped me. "I said you could see her and now you have, now you are going to go back to our chambers to rest." He said and was about to close the cell door.

"Please just let me talk to her for a few minutes." I begged.

"No, she is nothing. A servent, she is beneath you. It is time for you to begin your life as the Queen. You will spend time with only the right people." He said slamming the door shut.

A guard knelt before us, speaking before the king could lead me away. "My King may I speak with you?" He asked. James was annoyed but nodded. They walked a short distance away so I could not hear what they were saying. I turned back to Dorothy who was now standing at the door.

"How did they find you?" I asked her.

"I was caught stealing a horse, when I was reported to the guards one of them recognized me from the castle and brought me back."

"Did they find Ricky as well?" I questioned.

She shook her head. "I don't know, when the king took you, me and Ricky split up. He told me to continue the journey to Nezlock and he said he was going to come rescue you from the castle."

I was about to say something but I was harshly pulled away from the cell. "Speak to her again slave and you will die!" The King angrily spoke as he glared at Dorothy and then at me. He grabbed my hand and pulled me along like a child dragging behind him. We leave  the dungeons in silence, my fear for Dorothy getting stronger with each beat of my heart.

"You are not to leave the room today, but tomorrow morning you will attend tea with the Ladies of the Court in the tea room." He said looking into my eyes and I could tell I didn't have a choice.