The Beginning

(Alice's point of view)

I shivered in fear as I hid in the corner of the barn. I came here make sure the horses had water and that's when I saw the kings knights charging on horseback across the field coming straight for my village!

I watched through a little peep hole in the wall as the knights were killing and trampling the villagers that tried to flee before them while some managed to escape and hid in their homes.

One rider wore a full black armoured suit and was riding on a large black horse. He stood out from all the others. 

"My king, what are your orders?" One of the knights asked the man on the big black horse.

I gasped realizing that the rider in black was King James who had caused so much death. He killed his own parents just so he could be king!

"Burn the houses down and make sure none of the people escape." He ordered.

I looked on in horror when i saw the knights start to light touches and throw them onto the houses, setting the hay made roofs a blaze! I moved back  knocking over a broom which startled one of the horses in the barn, causing it to jump back and knock over a saddle rack which fell with a loud noise. It made a loud noise. I quickly looked back through the peep hole in the wall and saw the king now looking at the barn! He dismounted his horse and started walking towards the barn. I quickly hid behind a stack of hay just as the big doors to the barn swung open.

The king slowly walked in looking around. Releasing the three stalled horses, letting them run freely from the barn. Then it all went quiet, I could no longer see him from where I was.

'Maybe he left' I thought to myself in relief until the small stack of hay i was hiding behind was pulled away making me scream in fear as the king now stood in front of me wearing a black knights helmet so I couldn't see his face. He stood there staring down at me as I cowered in the corner.

Slowly he removed his helmet and I saw he was very attractive, thick black hair that rested on his shoulder, he had brown eyes along with sharp facial feachers. I still knew him to be a heartless monster. I've heard so many terrifying things about this man and I wished I'd never actually come face to face with him! He got down on one knee to stared into my eyes. He had no emotion on his face as he stared at me, I started to cry, his hand reached out to cup my cheek and his thumb rubbed just under my eye.

He did this for a few seconds while studying my face before he quickly pulled his hand away and put his helmet back on. Harshly he grabbed my right arm and pulled me up and out of the barn.

I struggled to get away from him, tears pouring down my cheeks as I begged him to let me go but he ignored me. Using some rope from his saddle bag he tied my wrists tightly together. Mounting his horse he pulled me up till I was sitting side saddle in front of him, he wrapped his arm wrapped around me in a way so I wouldn't fall off.

"Return to the castle!" He shouted to his knights who raced to their mounts in order to follow their king.

I continued to cry as the king kept a tight grip around me. We were about to ride off until my Mother came running out from behind our now burning house.

"No, not my daughter!" She cried as she tried to reach me but one of the knights ran his horse into her, causing her to fall in the dirt.

"Mother!" I cried and tried to get off the horse to run to her but the king wouldn't let me.

"Please my king let my daughter go, Please!" Mother cried as she was kneeling down in the dirt in front of the kings horse.

The kings grip tightened on me.

"No." He said coldly "Kill her." He ordered one of his men. The knight dismounted, unsheathed his sword and held it to my mothers throat.

"No please my king please spare my mother....please!" I begged looking up at him, he stared at me then grunted in anger while harshly turning his horse the other way.

"Kill the woman!" He shouted while bringing the horse to a trot carrying us away from the scene of my mother's death

"No!" I screamed struggling to get free from his arms but it was no use.

I looked over his shoulder as the knight with the sword slit my mother's throat! All the knights followed behind us on their horses. Leaving the burning village that was my home behind.

We rode for a long time, it was quiet. No one spoke a word, the king would look down at me for a few moments before turning his attention back to what was ahead of us. Silent tears fell from my eyes as I thought of my mother, she's gone forever now. I will never see her again. I cried quietly, hoping that this could all just be a bad nightmare.

We finally reached the capital city of the kingdom. The kingdom of Novak. In the middle of the city was a grand castle, and on one side of the city outside the stone walls were lots of farm lands, the other side a huge ocean that has the kingdom of Nezlock on the other side of it. The view was very beautiful, I've never been to this part of the kingdom because my mother had always told me to avoid the main city because of the king and his heartless army.

We rode through the farm lands and up to the main gate of the city. As we rode down the streets the people kneeled down when they saw the king, but they also glanced quickly at me with curiosity and confusion. I do not blame them, as far as I know I am the only one from my village taken alive.

We reached the castle. the king dismounted his horse pulling me down with him, he quickly yanked me through the closest door into the castle. We walked down a short hallway coming to a wooden door, the king burst through the door pushing me before him.

I quickly took in my surroundings. It looks like a kitchen, a very big one. I've never seen so many cabinets and kitchen supplies in my life. All of the walls were a gray stone, a long wooden table sat in the middle of the room, a huge kitchen fireplace that  almost took up the entire wall on the far left side. Multiple cast iron cauldrons and much more.
An old woman with gray hair stood up quickly from a chair at the long table and kneeled down to the king.

"Rise." The king said carelessly as he approached her

He whispered something in her ear before turning back to the wooden door, he stopped and looked at me for a moment before completely walking out the door, slamming it shut behind him. Making me flinch.

I turned to face the old woman who gave me a sad smile.

"Come my dear, we must get you settled in and prepare you for your new life as the kings personal servant."