One More Day

(Lori)

I'm starting to panic now, I have little time left to get the information I need for the king or I will be executed in front of the whole city! I have not seen Alice since yesterday in the laundry room, I wonder if she is avoiding me. But why? I do not have time to worry about it. When I went to talk to her after I finished in the laundry room I found her bed chambers empty, I think maybe the king claimed her again last night and kept her nearby, so I have had to wait until this morning. It is almost time for the morning bells to ring. I have breakfast ready for the others, now I am just waiting for the bells and Alice.

(Alice)

After serving the king his dinner last evening he refused to let me leave saying that he sleeps better with me in his arms. The locked door meant I could not sneak out through the night. Now his arms are still around me, holding me close to him as the sky outside starts to show signs of the morning light. His dark brown eyes slowly open and he smiles warmly at me when he sees I am already awake. "Good morning my precious treasure." He says as he strokes my cheek.

"Good morning." I said quietly not looking in his eyes.

Kissing my forehead before he rises from the bed I am shocked when he says, "I am having a very special dress made for you to wear tomorrow. It is going to be a very special day." He said happily pulling on his trousers and knee high boots.

"But tomorrow is the execution." I said in confusion. Is he excited for am execution? What am I thinking, of course he is, this man is evil!

"It is my dear." He moves to my side, takes my hands in his, looking into my eyes lovingly. "It will be the moment when your life changes forever."

(Joe)

I walked into the kitchen following the ringing of the bells, once again Alice is nowhere to be found. Mandy smiled seductively at me as she sat beside Ricky who looks annoyed with her. I do not blame him, she is only good for satisfying a man's needs and that is it. She is pretty but Alice is prettier. My thoughts rattle around in my head as I seat myself at my usual spot and begin spooning breakfast onto my plate.

"Joe do you know where Alice is?" Lori asked as she pulled me away from the breakfast table.

"No, why?" I asked, wondering if Alice was in trouble.

"I need to find out who Alice talked to a few nights ago. The king is demanding to know. He intends to punish whoever made her late bringing his dinner and if I cannot give him a name it will be me that is executed. I have only a few hours left to find out." Her voice is nearing panic, the fear is plain on her face, I can almost smell it as she stands so close to me.

My mind races as it tries to think of a lie to cover my own guilt. I cannot let anyone know it was me in the hallway or it will be me facing execution instead of Lori. My smooth voice tells the lie as easily as if it were the truth, "I know who she spoke with that night but I do not wish to get anyone in trouble. I will be sending him to his death. But if I have to choose between you and him Lori, it will be a simple choice. It was the garden boy, Henry. I saw them talking before she brought the king his dinner. In fact I seen some other things too. When Alice tried to leave Henry did not want her to go and grabbed her, pushed her up against the wall and tried to kiss her. Before I could get there to help her Alice managed somehow to get away from him."

Lori nodded, "you would not lie about this would you Joe? Henry will be killed tomorrow in front of the whole city if I tell the king it was him."

"I am telling the truth Lori. Do you think I would lie about something like this?" My voice was smooth, I could see Lori believing my lie.

She sighed. "Have your breakfast." I smiled slyly as she rushed out of the kitchen. I sat down at the table and started eating. My problem solved I let my thoughts roam, suddenly I was sorry that I had not said it was Ricky. It would bring me great pleasure to see him die in front of the whole city. Just as quickly that thought was followed by one of Mandy, who would kill me if I had tried to use Ricky in my lie. Better to blame Henry. I happily finished my breakfast.