He kisses my forehead before he rises from our embrace. "I should get going"

 "Yeah" I mumble.

 He smiles down at me once he puts his jacket on, "I'll be back before you know it"

 I force the smile on my face at his effort to cheer me up "Sure" I reply.

 Then he is out the door, and I can't help but feel the need to call for him to come back and never leave again.

 Three hours later the afternoon sunlight breaks into the room as I hear Julia come up the stairs. She pokes her head into the room and smiles warmly at me "I'm going to run to the store, do you need anything before I leave?"

 I look up from the book I'm reading to return her smile half heartedly "No, I'm fine."

 Her smile grows wider and I swear I can see sympathy rolling off her lips. "I'll be back soon" She reassures before quietly closing the door behind her, and I'm alone again.

 My book has gone from a bore to interesting in the twenty minntes since her departure. One of the main characters is being tortured for information that he would willingly never give. His brother is an ex convict who is on the run, but not before he stopped by his brothers to give him his plan. It is set in the 3,000's so everything has been incredibly modernized with a new meaning to that word.

 He has been slapped, punched, and cut up in more ways than one, and I wonder why I am reading this gruesome book; because it's not like me to find this interesting. But it does, it entices me so much that I actually start to feel the characters pain as his predator slowly cuts apart his abdomen.

 Then I realize that it's not just the author's incredibly detailed torture scene that has caused me to feel the characters pain, but that the pain is really there.

 I gasp as a sharp pain rushes through my stomach, then the pain goes away and I wonder if the baby just kicked me harder than usual. I rest back into the pillows before it returns with a harsh force that causes me to wiggle in agony in the bed.

 My fear has caused it all to end up worse. What was happening? I'm only seven months pregnant. Is the baby okay? Am I okay?

 With little strength I reach for my phone and rip it from the charger and press the speed dial two. Within seconds I hear Julia's sweet voice in the receiver and all I can reply to her hello is a blood curling scream as I hunch over as a new wave of pain takes over my body.

 "What's going on Cassie?" She talks so fast after my scream that I can barely comprehend what she has said.

 "I d-don't know" I cry, trying to stop gritting my teeth. "It hurts!" I scream "It hurts!"

 I hear something crash on the other end of the phone before I listen to her now frantic voice "Alright, I'm coming right now. James is already on his way over he should be there any second. Just hold on Cassie, you need to hold on." And before I can scream another reply, the line goes dead.

 I try to think of something else besides the pain that has taken over my body, but it's so powerful that it must have taken control over my senses because the next thing I know, James is looking horrified at me from the doorway.

 I croak out a "Please." My mind knows that he can't do anything about it, but sense has failed me.

 He rushes over to the bed that I have been condemned to and presses his hand that feels cold to my forehead. "Your burning up" He whispers, before I scream my lungs out and squirm about the bed, trying to rid the fiery pain that's making me exhausted.

 He leaves for a minute before he returns with a wet cloth and drapes it over my forehead, but it doesn't seem to help as I kick off the covers, heat consuming me.

 "It's okay Cas, it's okay, calm down" He soothes, talking to his mother on the phone, but still keeping a firm terrified hand on my forearm. I want to scream at him that it is impossible that I am okay, and that I couldn't calm down even if I wanted to.

 "Mum she's bleeding!" He shouts into the receiver as I clutch my baby lump in agony. I look at the bed sheets which have confirmed his accusations. I have bled into the sheets.

 I can't process what is happening as James yells some more into the phone. It could have been hours but it was probably minutes when Julia is in the room, trying to talk to me. "We need to take her to the hospital now" She urges, and even through my tears I know that I have never seen her this serious in my life.

 "But Tom-" James argues.

 "We can deal with him later. Can you carry her to the car?" She yells above my tortured screams.

 I don't hear him answer before I am hoisted up into his arms still crying painfully.

 The next thing I remember is being placed in the back of the car with my head on James' lap as Julia tares out of the drive way and down the street. The pain defies my thoughts, that it couldn't get any worse, as I try to control all my screaming that begins to tare my throat to pieces.

 "Mum, what's going on?" James asks hurriedly.

 It takes a moment for her to answer "I think that she is going into labor, but I'm not sure. It could be a number of things"

 "Like a..." James trails off, brushing small ringlets damp with sweat from my face as my eyes grow heavier. I know what word he means to say but can't. Miscarriage.

 "Yes" Julia answers softly, "Just make sure she doesn't fall asleep"

 I have stopped screaming as I feel that the pain has overpowered my fighting. "I can't do this" I whisper to him, feeling as if death is knocking at my door.

 "Yes you can" He encourages, but he sees my eyes drooping "No Cassie you have to stay awake" he soothes, and I try to keep my eyes open, but they are so heavy and I begin to feel as if I have become deflated.

 "I'm sorry" I whisper, trying to keep my eyes open, but I can't.

 "Cassie! Cassie! Stay with me, come on look at me!" he screams in my face.

 I force my eyes open and stare into his brown orbs, his face has never been this terrified to me before, as he pants like he is hyperventilating.

 "You have to keep looking at me" His voice holds so much power behind it that I have to try harder. I stare at his face, counting all of the things that remind me of Tom...

 My eyes begin to fall again, before I am roughly shaken awake. "Drive faster!" James screams fill my head and I wince at the sound.

 Her reply does not reach my ears as what seems to be a fog wraps around my body.

 I don't see James's face again, as shapes blur together and my eyes finally close.