10

Jessica's POV: 10 minutes later

"There's an upside to the hospital." Layla smiles as we sit down on one of the benches just outside the entrance to the hospital. "And that is?" I ask. "There's literally a Starbucks here." She says. "True." I nod. "We should get one." She says. "Got money?" I ask. "Yeah." She smiles widely. "Get us one then. I'm poor mate." I say, making her laugh. "Of course I will, babes." She says with a smile. "Thanks babes." I smile back at her. "Wait here then." She says as she stands up. "Well I can't exactly walk without help, you know." I say, making her giggle. "Okay, okay. One second then." She laughs before rushing back inside to the Starbucks. 

-

I sigh as I lean back into the bench. "To think its been like... A month since I was last outside." I mutter to myself as I look up at the sky. 

The clouds move slowly along the pale blue sky. The sun shines through the gaps, onto the ground, casting shadows from nearby objects, buildings, and people. Birds tweet as they fly past in flocks. Cars race past along the nearby road. People visiting family members, or friends chat to one another as they enter the gloomy hospital building. The sound of cars starting up in the nearby car park roar before quickly changing into a light humming sound as they make their way out. The sound of the hospital doors opening and closing mix in with all the sounds that I've missed. 

"Jessica." The familiar voice of Layla hums softly, making me look over at her. "Here." She smiles at me as she passes me my drink: a caramel frappuccino. "Thanks, Lay." I smile back at her before taking a sip of it. "I've fucking missed this." I say, making her lightly chuckle. "Knew you would." She says. "I've missed everything really." I sigh. "Like what?" She asks; curiosity laced in her voice. "It sounds daft, but the simple things such as the feel of the breeze hitting my skin. The sun radiating heat of my body. The fresh outdoor smell you get when you first walk outside." I explain. "It doesn't sound daft." Layla says. "No?" I question. "No." She shakes her head. "You've been inside for over a month. You've not been outside to experience these everyday things. It's not daft. It's actual reasonable." She says. "I guess it is." I shrug. "It is, Jess." She smiles at me.