~Chapter 26~

Note: this chapter is a bit rubbish but enjoy lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Emma's POV~

Claire called us in for lunch and we all gathered inside, surrounding the dinner table and taking our seats as Miss Peregrine was setting the last piece of food on the table.

Not long after, Miss Avocet and her children made their way down to join in with us and we all had to squeeze in, Claire was sitting on Miss Peregrine's lap.

We all began to eat in silence, it was kind of awkward. Every time I looked up it was either seeing Caul and Miss Avocet watching Miss Peregrine and Derek, who were sitting next to each other, like a hawk or Miss Peregrine over-blushing, looks like the conversation she had with Claire didn't go well in her state of mind.

Lunch felt like it finished soon as I took my first bite and we all dashed outside while the 4 adults cleaned up. I had told Enoch and Olive what I made Claire do so when I spotted the small child once again I pulled her aside, again, with Enoch and Olive beside me.

"What did she say and what did you ask?" I asked a bit to fast that even I was able to notice that. Claire explained in a quiet voice as we know how good the birds hearing is, with everything and what happened, putting it clear into detail. I don't know why but I felt this happiness sensation inside me, it was like hearing a new but nervous Miss Peregrine from how Claire was explaining, for the bird didn't get annoyed and tell Claire to stop and it definitely sounded like she was embarrassed, no wonder why Miss Peregrine was blushing.

A sound from behind startled all of us and out came the woman we all knew from in the shadows, she had been listening to this whole conversation and she was supposed to be cleaning. "Oh hi Miss Peregrine, what you doing back there?" Olive asked and we all threw Miss Peregrine a nervous smile which was obviously not convincing enough for a lady like her. "Oh please Olive, don't try to act. I heard everything you said" She said and her eyes switched to her hawk-like ones.

We all kind of just stood there looking at her, we had no excuse, we were basically 'caught in the act' some might say. A brief moments passed us until Miss Peregrine decided to speak again, but releasing a heavy sigh before doing so. "Explanation. Now." She asked, folding her arms and tapping her foot up and down on the light, soft grass.

Looked like no one else was going to take the opportunity to speak and Miss Peregrine was getting impatient so I decided to speak. "Miss Peregrine, forgive them, this is all on me but when are you going to realize that you and Derek are meant to be! Literally! You have not noticed how happy he has made you over the past few weeks he has been here and I have never seen you so happy like this before! We want you to stay like that forever and ever so I got Claire to ask you some uncomfortable questions to ask you while she was helping you prepare lunch for us" I blurted out, I wasn't exactly expecting those words to come out of me but they managed to anyways. But the woman opposite Olive, Enoch, Claire and I was just simply speechless as she was probably trying to process everything in her brain that I had just told her a few seconds ago.

"We will not speak of this besides, all do you children make me happy too" She responded and walked away. I turned to face the 3 children behind me since I was standing in front of them all. "Worth a sho-" I was about to say but Enoch cut me off. "Bloody hell Emma. We don't even know much about this Derek dude what if he's actually a bad influence on our ymbryne?" and with that I had him the 'are you serious' look. "Have you not seen how they act when they're both together? If you don't think he's a good guy then we shall all get to know him better! Only us 4, I don't think we should tell the others just yet" I said, I think we should still use Claire as she can ask all these questions, and we did as said and tried finding Derek.

"Derek!" Claire yelled and she ran towards him, quickly followed by Olive, Enoch and I. "Well what can I do for you four?" He asked, he was sitting underneath one of the big tree's Fiona had planted, it was one of the first one's she planted since we moved here and it would blossom every now and then during the day. "Nothing, we just thought we'd come sit with you" Olive answered. "Yeah but that's only one part of what we want to do. We also want to get to know you better and why you're here" Enoch stubbornly added. "And that would be?" Derek asked. "We don't know, we're just going to let Claire ask you questions" I said and let Claire start with the questions.

"So why did you come here?" Claire asked and I could see Derek was deep in thought, lets just hope he tells the truth. "Well it isn't bad to keep in touch with an old friend right?" Derek responded and Enoch cut in before Claire could ask anything else. "Okay you're just answering our questions with questions, you just asked a question when we did" Enoch said. How stupid could he be? "Enoch he means that Miss Peregrine is an old friend of his and that it isn't bad to keep in touch with her" I said rolling my eyes and let Claire carry on.

"Do you think she's pretty?" Claire then asked with a bright and big smile on her face. "Wait I thought this was questions about me so you guys could get to know me" Derek responded. "We technically are getting know you, just what you think of Miss Peregrine" Olive answered with a straight face and she moved closer to Enoch. "Well do you think she's pretty?" Derek asked, focusing in Claire's direction. "Yes! She is the most beautiful girl on the planet" Claire said as she leaned back on the grass as if she were to be laying in a bunch of leaves.

A few questions went by and Derek failed to answer most of them and we saw Mr. Bentham making his way over. "Hello Caul" Claire said, still laying down on the grass. "Hi Everybody, what's going on?" He asked, sitting down next to Enoch. "We are asking Derek many questions. We started off asking why he came here and then we asked if he thinks Miss Peregrine is pretty and then-" Claire said, sitting up so she can now face all of us but was interrupted by Caul. "So Derek do you think my sister is pretty?" Caul asked Derek, facing him in slow motion. "I-uh" Derek was hesitating what to say. "Hm?" Caul said moving closer to Derek. "Gotta go! Bye!" Derek yelled, turning into his wolf form and running away from Caul who had his arms up in the air yelling, "Stay away from my sister!" We all chuckled at what Caul was doing, Derek didn't have much space to run around so Caul was just running around the backyard after a wolf screaming the same thing over and over again.

From what I've heard, Caul and Derek were best friends but I guess whoever talks to Miss Peregrine will still get their life knocked out of them by Caul.

That is when Miss Peregrine came storming back outside, she was cleaning the house I'm guessing after she walked away from the conversation we had earlier. She looked mad, the sight she had right now was her big brother screaming and chasing after an animal. Miss Peregrine stood in front of Caul, preventing him to run anymore than he was. "Caul! We have neighbors! Be quiet otherwise I will chase you saying get out" and with that Caul obeyed what Miss Peregrine said and she went back inside.

She carried on cleaning and started making dinner.