Birthday Pie

yes i know i've already done a similar one shot for dean's birthday but shh

~~~~~

Dean walked into the bunker, carrying a few bags of groceries in. Most of it was beer, but there were a few other items in the bags that were actual food.

He froze after a few steps. A smell was wafting throughout the bunker, and Dean had just caught wind of it. It smelled.... sweet. He couldn't quite put his finger on what the smell was, but Dean decided to investigate.

He walked into the kitchen, seeing immediately what caused the smell.

Cas was baking him a pie.

"Hello, Dean." He smiled up at him, closing the oven door as he set the pie down on the counter. "Did you just get back from the store?"

Dean nodded, moving past him to put the groceries away. He opened the fridge, shoving the beer and food inside before standing back up. "What're you making that pie for? It smells delicious, by the way."

Castiel tilted his head to the side. "You don't remember what day it is today?"

"Uhh.... Tuesday?" He said after a moment. "Why? Am I gonna hear Heat of the Moment playing any minute now?"

The angel shook his head. "I do not know what that is. Anyway, it is your birthday today. I wanted to bake you a pie, since it is something you find enjoyable."

The hunter couldn't help but smile. "You didn't have to, Cas."

"I wanted to. I need to learn human customs and traditions. I understand most humans have came on their birthday, but you seem to like pie better." He noted. Castiel had spent time researching birthdays. He had looked up all the different traditions that people usually did.

He had also put a great amount of time into discovering and looking up the different types of pies. Which one was the most popular, which was the easiest, and ones that weren't so popular. At the end of his research, he had concluded that apple pies were the best kind to make. They were the most popular, but were also pretty simple to make.

"I do like pie better than cake," Dean nodded in agreement. "Did you make this all by yourself?" He raised an eyebrow, looking around the kitchen. His brother was no where in sight.

"No. Sam helped me. We wanted to get it into the oven as soon as possible after you left. While I was making the pie crust, Sam was peeling the apples." He answered, taking off the oven mitts. "The recipe said we need to wait approximately ten minutes for the pie to cool down enough to consume."

Dean huffed. "That's going to be a long ten minutes."

He managed to keep himself entertained for the next ten minutes. Cas was talking excitedly about the extensive research he had done in figuring out the pie he was going to make.

A buzz sounded from the stove, signaling the ten minutes were up. Cas cut the pie into slices, placing a slice each on three plates. He stuck a candle in Dean's, lighting it on fire.

Sam appeared in the doorway, having heard the buzzer go off. "Okay, on three. One, two, three." Him and Cas sang Dean a terrible off-key rendition of happy birthday.

"Now you can blow out the candle and make a wish." Cas instructed, grinning excitedly.

Dean hesitated for a minute, glancing up at Cas. He honestly didn't know what to wish for. He was dating Cas, his brother was safe, and they had a roof above their heads. It was pretty much all he could've asked for. After a moment, Dean blew the candle out anyway. He didn't make a wish. He already had everything he wanted.

Dean picked up his fork, scooping up some up the pie. He shoveled it into his mouth and was immediately greeted by how warm it still was. "Mm, this is good, Cas." He mumbled around his mouthful, taking another bite of his pie.

"Thank you." He smiled proudly, taking a small bite of his own pie.

Dean quickly finished his slice. He cut himself another one, going for seconds.

"Happy birthday, Dean." Castiel leaned over, placing a kiss to his cheek.

~~~~~

yep, so it's actually dean's bday today (january 24th).

happy birthday dean!!