Amortentia

Prompt: harry potter au where they're brewing amortentia in Potions

~~~~~

Amortentia. Of course that's what they were brewing on the day that Dean was paired up with Castiel, the boy he's had a massive crush on since their first year.

"You shall find the recipe for the potion on page nineteen of your textbooks." Slughorn told everyone as they split up and got with their partners.

Dean walked over to a cauldron. He looked around the classroom, looking for a certain Hufflepuff.

Castiel soon joined him, setting down the ingredients for the potion. He opened up his textbook to the page and starting reading the directions. "It says we need to add eight rose thorns first."

Dean nodded, grabbing the jar of rose thorns off the counter. He took out the cork and shook eight thorns out into his hand, dropping them into the cauldron. "What's next?"

The Hufflepuff looked down at his textbook again. "It says to add five millilitres of powdered moonstone, then stir the cauldron three times."

He continued following his instructions as he read them out. Dean couldn't help but stare at Castiel. He would get so distracted that he would almost add too much of an ingredient, but Castiel would catch his mistake before it was too late.

"Do you mind not staring at me, Dean? Not only is it distracting you, it's also distracting me." He scolded after a while of them looking, glancing up to look at the taller boy. "We're going to mess up if we don't pay attention."

Dean instantly looked down, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. A small blush rose to his cheeks, making his freckles stand out more. "Sorry." He said after a second. "Are we almost done?"

"Yes, there's only one more step. And that's to stir in the peppermint. We add five leaves in and stir until it looks like the color of a pearl." Castiel tore his eyes away and back to the yellow pages of the textbook. He too had a slight blush on his cheeks.

Dean grabbed another jar, this one containing the peppermint leaves. He took the five leaves out of the jar, dumping them into the cauldron. He took hold of the ladle, starting to stir it. After stirring it for a moment, he glanced up at Castiel. "Do you think the consistency is fine?"

The shorter boy peered into the pot. It had a mother-of-pearl sheen, and steam was spiraling out from it. "Yeah. Now Slughorn wants us to smell it and write down what we smell."

"But won't the potion smell the same?" Dean furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. He wasn't going to lie, he hadn't exactly been paying attention when Slughorn was talking about the properties of the powerful love potion.

Castiel shook his head. "No. It smells different to every person." He pulled out a quill, an ink well, and some parchment.

"Hmm." Dean said. He took a deep breath, before inhaling the potion. Instantly, his nose was overwhelmed, but in the best way possible.

He smelled apples. Specifically green apples, since those were the ones that went into apple pie. His mother always made apple pie for Christmas and for his birthday, since it was his favorite dessert in the world. Now, he didn't discriminate against other types of pie, but apple was his favorite.