Guardian Angel

Warning: Possible triggers since this whole one shot is about suicide.

Also, this is kind of an au where Dean never sold his soul for Sam to come back in season 2.

edit: okay so this one shot is garbage and kind of stupid so i'm really sorry you had to read this with your eyes. i have better angsty one shots than this i promise

~~~~~

Dean peered over the ledge of the building he was standing on. People were pushing past each other in the crowd, in a hurry to get home. Taxis and cabs and other sorts of cars filled the street, honking impatiently at the pedestrians.

The last bit of sun set behind one of the many buildings in the city, and the cool night breeze started to blow softly around Dean.

He would miss this. He always did love the night.

Well, this is it, he thought to himself. Lets get this thing over with.

Dean looked down at his necklace around his neck and lifted it up with a hand. "I'm sorry, Sammy....." He whispered, a tear sliding down his face. "You would be so disappointed in me right now..." He let go of the amulet, letting it fall back to his chest.

"I'm sorry....." He murmured.

Dean spread his arms out. Just as he was about to step off the ledge, a voice behind him called out. "Stop!"

Dean turned around. "Why should I? I've got nothing to lose."

"You have everything to lose, Dean Winchester," said a man in a tan trench coat with a blue tie.

"How do you know me? I swear to God, if you're a cop coming to arrest me.... just let me jump. It's less paperwork." Dean said, eyeing the man warily.

"I am not a 'cop,' Dean." The man replied, making quotation marks when he said cop.

"Yeah? Who are you then? How do you know me?"

The man took a step closer. "When you were little, your mother always told you that angels were watching over you."

"How the hell do you know that?" Dean was starting to get a little freaked out about how much this guy knew.

"My name is Castiel. I am an angel of The Lord, and I am your guardian angel." He said, completely serious.

"Yeah, right. And I'm Jesus." Dean rolled his eyes, laughing slightly. "Who are you really?"

"I told you, I am an angel of The Lord."

"Oh yeah? Prove it. Save me before I hit the ground." Dean let himself fall backwards and off the ledge of the building.

This is it, he thought, as the rush of the wind ripped past him. Dean closed his eyes, waiting for the impact.

It never came. He heard a flap of feathers, and suddenly he felt like he was surrounded by something surprisingly soft and comfortable, yet light and delicate.

Dean peeked open an eye and saw he was surrounded by black. He opened his other eye, and looked closer. Upon closer inspection, he saw feathers.

"You really are an angel....." He whispered, and the wings retreated from around him. They were back on top of the building that they had previously been standing on. Castiel stood a lot closer to Dean this time. There was only about a foot of space between the two.

"Why did you not believe angels existed?" Castiel tilted his head curiously.

Dean sighed, looking at the ground. "I know my mom always told me that an angel was watching over me, but it never felt like it. I've seen so much pain and death, Castiel. Why didn't you intervene? You could have saved Sammy. You could have me from going through so much crap."

"I could not save your brother. I am not assigned to him. Therefore, he is not my responsibility." Castiel said bluntly.

Dean reached out and gripped Castiel's shoulders, shaking him wildly. "He's a big part of my life, dumbass. Of course you could have saved him!"

Castiel shook his hand. "You do not understand, Dean. Angels are not allowed to intervene with another angel's assignment."

"So you're saying my brother has a guardian angel."

"Yes. One of my brothers. His name is Gabriel, but that is not of import."

Dean was ready to punch the guy. "What the hell do you mean by that? My brother isn't important? He's important to me!" His fists clenched unconsciously.

The angel sighed. "Obviously he was the smarter one." He murmured under his breath so Dean couldn't hear.

"Why did you wait to step in until I was ready to commit suicide?" Dean asked.

"I-" Castiel faltered. "I didn't."

"What do you mean?"

"When you were in that hospital. I am the one who saved you. Not your father. You were dead, Dean. I am the one who brought you back." The angel admitted.

"So my dad died for nothing."

"Well-" Castiel started to say, but was cut off by Dean.

"You son of a bitch! You could've done something!"

Castiel shook his head. "Like I said before, I cannot interfere with another angel's assignment."

Dean let out a an angry sigh. "Why does everyone in my life have to die? First my mom, then dad, and now Sammy. It's almost like I'm next. Just let me die already. Please. I want to see my family again."

"Is that really what you want, Dean? You could have a normal life now."

Dean laughed bitterly. "Yeah, right. Even if I did try to lay low for a couple of years, I'd get pulled back in. One way or another, I would.

"Now if you excuse me, I have some business to do." He stepped back up on the ledge of the building again.

"I'll keep saving you, you know." Castiel said.

"Oh, I know. That's why I have a plan. If you save me, I'll kill you. If you just let me jump, you can keep your life."

"But..." The angel trailed off. "If I let you jump, then I will have failed my assignment."

"Well, you'll also fail your assignment if you get killed." Dean retorted. "Think of it this way. If I jump and you don't save me, you can always get a new assignment. You can't do that if you're dead."

Castiel thought for a moment, but said nothing.

"I'm taking it that you're gonna save me?" Dean asked, glancing over his should. "Well..... Whatever. If you don't save me, then see you on the other side, I guess." He didn't wait for Castiel's reply. Instead, he hopped off the side of the building.

There were no wings to save him this time.

~~~~~

Three updates in a row? It's a new record!

Someone requested angst, and I had been writing this one shot for a while now. So here you go!

I'm still taking requests/prompts, by the way!