Twenty

Twenty

"Ross Lynch." Laura answers to the receptionist. "Please."

Telephones buzz loudly in the hospital and nurses walk around, chatting with hot coffee in their hands. The receptionist, with the name tag, Mary Lou, looks over to her computer, clicking on something.

"What is your relationship to him?" She asks in her thick British accent, almost sounding bored.

She answered quickly. "He's my best friend. He's Austin on Austin & Ally and i'm Ally."

Mary Lou looks from her computer screen to Laura, taking a long hard look at her, as if she was thinking about her decision.

Was she debating? Did she know about the crisis? Did she know about the lies?

Laura looks away, feeling slightly uncomfortable. Everyone seemed to be staring at her lately. She knows she hasn't been looking her best ever since Ross was put into that coma, but how would you feel? He was part of her life and that coma ripped him out.

She started to feel annoyingly impatient. Just please let me see him. All she wanted was to lay her eyes on Ross again.

Mary Lou sighs. "Go ahead up to the third floor."

"Thank you so much." Laura says, her voice full of gratitude. But, she also felt a little uneasy. Mary Lou letting her up there meant that she might let anyone up there. Or maybe she knew Laura, but not about the news this morning.

Pushing the temporary thought away, she focuses on getting to Ross as she climbs the stairs quickly, walking past numbers of nurses and doctors, eager to see her friend.

She finally arrives at his room, seeing his body laying there, in the same place, still. Laura was brought to tears. But, also a little bit of joy struck her.

Water from her eyes fell slowly as she ran over to him. "Oh, Ross." She says and sits in a chair nearby. "You have no idea how bad it is here."

Laura felt his warm cheek. He was a bit lighter than usual. More pale.

She sits in the chair, next to him and then interlocks her fingers with his, stroking his hand. "I miss you so much."

Trying to wipe away her everlasting tears, she continues. "I still don't understand why anyone would do this to you." Laura runs her hand through his soft blond hair. "It's so heartless."

She continues. "And now, most people think i did this to you... Julie framed me. I don't know if this will be my last time visiting you, but it might be. Soon, everyone is going to believe the lies..."

Laura didn't know why she was talking aloud. Maybe she was going crazy. It's not like he'd actually hear her. But she talks on, changing the subject.

"You know, your siblings and Ratliff... they're just so confident that you're going to come back." She tells him.

Tears fall harder, blurring her vision of her blond best friend. "I wish I can, but I know the detectives won't even start the search until tomorrow." She tells him. "I mean, don't they know that they are the ones holding your life? Their choices will make or break you. And they're breaking you, breaking you until there's nothing left to break..."

She rests her head on his chest and closes her eyes. Laura listens to his slow rhythmic heart beat. Her hand takes his hand again, as she rests in silence.

After a couple of moments, a sound of heels clicking on the floor makes its way into the room. Laura picks up her head to look toward the noise.

It was one of the nurse ladies. She smiles politely, yet sadly at Laura. "Good morning."