Chapter 3

I wake up to the sound of Mollie calling me to dinner. My head hurts and I am drowsy. My face feels wet, and I could tell I’ve been crying in my sleep. I get up and fix up my hair, and put it in a braid for now, even though I prefer it down. When I’m done, I leave my room and walk to the dining room. I see that Danny is already there. I notice that he changed. His black hair is combed, and he is wearing a white t-shirt and blue jeans, before he was wearing a green shirt with a black jacket, and brown shorts. I notice I am still in the dress my mother gave me. It’s all messed up, but it’s still ok. I walk over and sit next to him.

          “Hey.” He says.

          I look at him and barley put on a smile. “Hi.” I reply. Looking at him made me feel weary and upset. I didn’t want to compete with him in the Games, because it would lead to one of us being killed, most likely him because he wants me to win. But I don’t want him dead. He’s my only friend, and I’m always myself around him.

          “Well, look at the pair of lovers we got this year.” Joan says.

          I was so lost in thought; I hadn’t realized that Danny put his arm around me. “Um, uh…Dan-” I begin to speak but Danny cuts me off before I could explain we’re just friends.

          “No, Katharine and I are just really close friends, nothing more, nothing less.”

          I look at Danny, then at Joan.

          “Oh.” Joan says. “Either way it’s really upsetting for you two. To be both chosen for the Hunger Games, one of you will have to end up dead.”

          I begin to frown and I feel like crying again. She then stops talking, knowing what she said hurt me. “Let’s just eat.” I say in an unpleasant tone.

          Soon enough, a group of people put food on our table. “Thank you.” I say, but they don’t reply back.

          “There called Avoxes.” Danny starts. “There not talking back because as punishment, the capitol cuts out their tongue. They’re then forced to be servants, and you can only talk to them if you’re giving an order, or they’re in trouble.”

          “That’s right.” Joan says. She grabs a piece of bread and eats it.

          I then grab some rice and bread, and eat. It tastes delicious and warms my mouth. This is the best food I’ve had in months. I eat till I’m full. For once, I won’t go to bed on an empty stomach. Danny seemed to be enjoying the meal too. When supper ends, I walk back to my room, wobbling because I’m so full, and the movement of the train makes me feel unbalanced. I start to feel uneasy, as if I was going to see my supper again. When I enter my room, I take off my clothes and take a long warm shower.

          Warm water…something I don’t get. The warm water makes me feel refreshed, and as if I was out in the forest in the summer as it rains. I grab some soap and clean my hair, and body. I’ve never felt so relaxed. When I’m done, I wrap the towel around my body and walk to the dressers. I open one of the drowse and find nice sleep wear. I quickly change into a white pair of pajamas and flop on my bed for a good night sleep. I know that Kati would craw in bed with my mother and father tonight, only worrying about me, hoping I was safe. If only I can see her once more…I then drift off into sleep and dream about home.

          “Up, up, up! We got a big day today!” Mollie says as she bangs on my door.

          I wake up, and I’m guessing we are almost at the capitol. I get out of bed, and take a shower. After that, I get dressed in a yellow shirt, and black skirt. After I dry my hair, I walk to the dining room to get breakfast. The table is filled with food. I sit down at the table, with Joan waiting.

          “Today you’re going to meet your stylist to get you ready for the parade today when we get to the capitol.” She says.

          I nod and fill my plate with pancakes I believe they’re called. They taste so good. “I wish I can have these more often.” I say grabbing some more.

          “Yes.” Joan says. “Pancakes are a good type of food to give you a certain level of energy. By the way, have you seen Danny?”

          I shake my head and eat another mouthful of the pancakes. A while later Danny shows up.

          I’m about done with breakfast when he sits down. He grabs a cup with this brown liquid in it and drinks.

          I look at the one that was given to me.

          “It’s hot chocolate.” Danny says. “It’s really good. If you don’t want yours, I’ll have it.”

          I look at him and giggle. I drink some, and shiver. It was so good and creamy, better than the pancakes. I drink till it’s gone. “That was a brilliant breakfast!” I exclaim. I stretch and pat my belly. “I’m so full…I can’t eat anymore.”

          “Me either.” Danny says. He gets up and stretches, and then leaves the room.

          I follow. I look out the window with him, enjoying the view.

          “You nervous,” Danny asks. He looks at me.

          “Yeah, but we have to stay strong. Maybe we can both win. But I doubt that the capitol will let that happen. I guess we just have to face it. This is the end of our friendship. Once we get to the arena, were done.” I look down wishing I haven’t said that because Danny frowns and looks very upset.

          “I’m sorry.” I then say.

          “Sorry for what? You’re just talking truth.” He then gets behind me and put is arms around my waist.

          I feel safe with him. I feel as if I could be myself around him. But I won’t be feeling that long. Being with him just makes me happy, the kind of happy that only Kati can pull out of me.

          All becomes dark and quiet and the train travels through the mountains. If I remember correctly, they were once called the Rockies. Danny’s still holding onto me when we are through the mountains. The train stops, and I hear cheering and see people in crazy, messed up outfits. This is it. We are at the Capitol.