He walks up with the Peacekeepers, and looks upset his eyes are dull out of their usual color, and there is a frown across his face. As he gets up on stage, Mollie tells us to shake hands. He reaches out his hand, but I just run up to him and hug him. Danny hugs me too. I just let the tears fall down my cheeks as Danny rubs my back.

          “Oh, looks like we got a couple of lovers here.” Mollie says which is a bit annoying, and a pretty dumb thing to say.

          But I just ignore her stupid comment. I don’t care what people think. Danny and I are just friends. Best friends and we would always be.

          Mollie then continues, “I give you, District 12’s tributes, Katharine Star and Danny Mercelly!”

          I look over at the crowed and no one claps. They must think that it was totally unfair for that we were both only twelve, and were very close. No, stupid thought. They are relieved that they haven’t been chosen. I stand there in silence as no one claps, not even the people with the betting strips, and they usually clap when someone is chosen. Then something unexpected happens. At first one, then another, than almost every person in the cowed touches their three middle fingers of their left hand to their lips and holds it out towards the direction of me and Danny. It is an old, rarely used gesture of our district, which normally happens at funerals. The symbol means thanks, it means admiration, it means good-bye to someone you love dearly.

          I am now, once again in danger of crying, but I've been in danger of crying for a while now. I never knew so much people would care, not just for me, but for Danny, for the both of us. At a reaping, this symbol hardly ever happens. It has only happened a few times before in the earlier Games. I do the gesture back, and then Danny does it. We then put our hands down and he grabs my hand and we all stand there, in silence. Then it’s all over.

          The moment the anthem ends, we are taken into custody. A group of Peacekeepers march us up through the front door of the Justice Building.

          Once inside, I’m sent to a room that’s golden, with the cushions of the seats velvet purple. It’s beautiful, but I don’t care. I just sit down, and try my best not to cry, but it’s too late. A few tears are already falling down my cheek, and I try my best to hide the fact that I am crying. There are cameras, and will be more at the train station. I sit waiting for the goodbyes. The goodbyes, they’re even more deadly than the Games because I won’t be able to ever see my family again. I’ll have to watch them cry their hearts out, and I’ll have to try not to cry anymore.

          The first to come are my parents and sister. When they enter the room, I see they brought Midnight with them. So I smile a bit. Kati runs up to me and hugs me, putting her arms around my neck and sitting on my lap, her head resting on my shoulder. My mom puts Midnight on Kati’s lap instead of mine because Kati’s taking up that space.

          “Mom…Dad…” I struggle to say. “Please, whatever happens on the screen, promise me you’ll stay through it. If I die, and you go back into deep sadness, no one will be able to watch out for Kati.”

          That makes Kati scream, “You’re not going to die! You promised me you’ll try to win! You can’t die Katharine! You just can’t.” She begins to cry and hugs me even tighter. I kiss her on the cheek.

          “Kati, promise me you’ll take care of Midnight. I need you to.” I slowly say to her.

          Kati nods.

          I kiss Midnight on her little fluffy black head. After that, I tell my parents how they can take care of themselves while I’m gone. I tell my father to continue Kati’s hunting training for me. I tell my mother to gather the editable berries for them to eat. I tell them that no matter what, they had to hold on, stay strong, and to never give up.

          After about thirty minutes, the Peacekeepers come in and tell my family that their time is up. We all hug and I keep saying I love you to them.

          My next guest is unexpected, though I’m not surprised to see them. Danny’s parents and siblings come in. I guess they already said goodbye to Danny.

          “Hi.” I say as they enter.

          Danny’s sister, Lilac hugs me and tells me that that was from Danny. “Danny told me to tell you good luck, and that he wanted you to win.”

          I look at her. “No.” I say. “I don’t want him to die.”

         She looks at me in sympathy. Danny’s eldest brother, Dan gave me a small bag. I open it up seeing cookies, something I can never afford.

          “How did you get these?” I ask grabbing one to eat.

          Jared, Danny’s other brother spoke, “The baker gave us two bags so we gave one to Danny and the other to you. He said it was because he felt sorry for you and Danny, so he gave them to us for free. He’s a really kind man.”

          “Thank you.” I say. Danny’s parents hug me and wish me good luck. When the Peacekeepers take them out, I have no more visitors, which doesn’t surprise me, not one bit. But it does make me feel lonely and even sadder.

          When the hour was up, the Peacekeepers take me and Danny to the train station in a car. I’ve never been in a car, and neither has Danny. It is pretty nice to be in one, but I try my best not to care. I looked out the window, seeing hills and mountains, and a few lakes and meadows, filled with beautiful flowers. I even see a few small forests.

          I was right not to cry when we get to the train station. There were several cameras. Danny and I walk into the train together, while people take our pictures, and we’re then separated into our private cars. I flop on the bed, and fall asleep, waiting to be called for supper.