Chapter 42: Needed In The States

It was a cold morning the next day, though the fiery alcohol was still ablaze in the stomachs of the agents. They had decided to sleep in the same room, with Illya and Gaby in the double bed and Solo on the couch. The phone was the first thing to wake them up, and Solo reluctantly picked it up from the coffee table.

"Hello?" Solo rubbed his eyes and squinted to try and focus on his surroundings.

"Agent Solo, this is Saunders."

"Saunders, what's up?"

"I need you and the U.N.C.L.E. team to be in the States by tomorrow afternoon. We've got a lot to discuss. Your plane will leave tonight at around midnight, so don't miss it or I will have you drawn and quartered. You'll be directed to go to the Main CIA Headquarters in New York. Understand?"

"Yes, sir."

"Don't mess this up."

Solo heard the phone click on the other side. When he turned to the bed, Illya was already out and had heard the conversation. 

"What's going on?"

"Saunders wants us in the United States by tomorrow."

Illya narrowed his eyes. "I'm not going to CIA town."

"Believe it or not, you are."

Gaby grunted in the bed. "What's going on?"

"We're leaving for New York tonight. It's on Saunders' orders." Solo tried to help himself to some coffee when he was interrupted by Illya.

"We're not going to New York."

Gaby sighed. "It's for a mission, right?"

"Yes." Solo nodded.

Gaby turned back to Illya. "If it's for a mission, we should go. We'll be leaving for London soon after anyway."

"Besides, you dragged me to Moscow, so..."

Solo smiled goofily at Illya and batted his eyelids. Illya tried to act serious again, but again, he couldn't help but be deterred and crack a smile. 

The U.N.C.L.E. gang took one last look at the morning scenery of Moscow, before turning back to the documents and files they had gathered for the new mission.