Chapter 3: Mrs Solo

Gaby walked into Illya's room, and her smile seemed to light up the room. It was nearly midnight, but she wasn't used to sleeping much anyway.

"Evening," she stood in the corner of the room waiting to catch his attention.

Illya was sitting on his bed, reading the envelope Saunders had given him. His eyebrows were knitted together as he concentrated. "You should get some sleep."

"I can't sleep." Gaby fiddled with the hem of her pyjamas. "In East Germany, I used to go to sleep when the cars were finished. And the cars were nearly never finished."

Illya grunted. "You're not in East Germany anymore."

"Doesn't mean I've changed." Gaby shrugged.

Illya put down the envelope and stared at Gaby from the corner, trying to read into her locked mind. "What are you thinking?"

"That you can show me around Moscow when we get there." Gaby exclaimed excitedly, but it was only met by an angered expression on his face. Confused, she continued to press him. "I've heard it's a beautiful city. I want to see the Moscow Kremlin, especially in the winter..."

"You're very ignorant for someone so intelligent." Illya got up from the bed and walked over to her. "We won't be allowed outside in public. You're his wife, remember?"

Gaby nodded, her cheeks flushing red. "I thought we could just sneak out."

"It's not like in Istanbul or Rome. In Russia, the walls have eyes and the pavement has ears." Illya looked down at her hands, shivering with the cold. "Nothing stays a secret from spies."

Gaby nodded and turned towards the door. "I guess I'm saying goodbye to Illya then."

"Goodbye, my little chop-shop girl."