Chapter 7: Midnight Train

Gaby couldn't sleep. The train made an awful screeching sound whenever it turned a corner on the railway, and it reminded Gaby of badly made cars. She sighed and plumped up her pillow to try and make herself comfortable. To add to the noise, Solo had fallen asleep and was snoring loudly.

"How do you manage to sleep with so many women when you snore like a pig?" Gaby rolled her eyes, angrily shoving the pillow of her ears to try and block out the sound. It was useless.

She got out of the bed and wrapped her blanket around herself. She tried pacing around the room, but it only made her agitated. She needed something to concentrate on. Where was Illya? She knew Solo had told her not to come in contact with Illya, but the train was nearly empty in the first-class section. She slid open the door and poked her head out. The hallway was completely silent as she looked around and tiptoed out. She slid the door close and started walking, around. She knew Illya also had a room in first-class, and the first-class was not a big part of the train. She started to sense movement behind her. She ignored it at first, passing it as just her mind playing tricks on her. But then she could hear heavy breathing. She stopped dead in her tracks, not daring to look behind her.

"Solo?" She whispered, her eyes darting around in front of her.

There was no answer. Instead, someone grabbed her shoulder. She jumped and turned around. It was a tall man, with dark brown hair and a horrid grin on his face. His eyes were light green, and illuminated in the dark.

"Hello," the man said. He had a strong Russian accent. "It's a little dangerous for you to be outside of your train cabin without your husband, isn't it?"

He's not being rude, Gaby reassured herself. But the desire in his eyes told him he wasn't the best person to be around. "You're right, sir. I'll go back now..."

She tried to slip past the strange man, but he easily blocked her way. "I think you should come to my cabin instead."

"No, my husband's waiting for me..." She tried to turn away, but he grabbed her arm aggressively. "Sir, please..."

The desire in his eyes set aflame, and his strength started pulling Gaby away from the hallway. Gaby wanted to scream, but a lump had grown in her throat and she couldn't find the breath to do so. She was feeling trapped. She was trapped...

"Excuse me, Miss."

They heard a voice behind them. Her capture stopped and looked behind him, his eyes squinting to see who interrupted them in the dark.

"Sir," the man said, another thick Russian accent lingered in his speech.

Gaby turned and saw Illya. Her hearts did flips in her chest when she saw him stride over to where they were and take her hand. "Sir, please let go of the lady."

The man was relentless. "Get back to your cabin." He pulled on Gaby further, but Illya grabbed her other shoulder.

"I'm afraid I can't let you do that." Illya said calmly. "Russian?"

The man nodded. "And you to, I suppose."

Illya nodded, smiling. "I'm meeting my good friend, General Melnikova, in Moscow and I think he would be interested in hearing my meeting with you, sir."

The man's green eyes started flashing and his lip wobbled. He let go of Gaby's arm and walked into the dark hallway. Illya and Gaby watched his tall figure be consumed in the darkness. Illya then turned to Gaby. She could see the anger in his body language, but in his blue eyes, she knew he was relieved to see her.

"What do you think you were doing leaving the cabin?" Illya shook her shoulder gently. "Were you trying to get yourself in trouble?"

"I couldn't sleep." Gaby bit her lip, realizing how weak her excuse was.

Illya sighed. "Me neither." He took her hand and led her back to the cabin where Solo was still snoring. "But you can't go wondering around on this train. This isn't like in Rome or Istanbul. I told you this before."

Gaby nodded and gazed into his eyes. Illya brushed the hair away from her eyes. "Stay here. Sleep well."

Gaby leaned in and pecked him on the cheek. "You too." She slid the door closed quickly and jumped back into the top bunk bed.

I understand now, Gaby sighed. As soon as her head hit the pillow, she fell asleep.