Chapter 32: Going Solo

Illya was perched on the other side of the balcony, hearing their complete conversation. He was nervous when Gaby first started talking to Solo, thinking it would end in another romantic scene. But it hadn't. Instead, it had ended up in a talk about his relationship with Gaby. He realised Solo envied their relationship; he never realised he had felt so strongly about Simona.

Poor, poor Simona. He had treated her so badly, and he never got to properly apologise or talk to her. She was so promising, and she would have been an asset to the U.N.C.L.E. undercover agent team. 

When Gaby had gone to bed, he wanted to go see her so badly. But he couldn't gather up the courage to wake her. Solo lingered on the balcony a little longer, and eventually fell asleep on the outside couch, wrapped up in a warm coat and with his glass of whiskey still gripped in between his fingers. 

He went back into his room, and thoughtfully continued his game of chess. It usually worked to distract and calm him, but it was not working today. He knew he was going through with the mission alone and he had already decided to not tell Gaby or Solo about what he had heard in the bar. Especially not Gaby. They knew she was in Moscow, and he would not allow what happened in Istanbul to repeat itself. He would rather die than watch her be tortured by another bastard.

He flipped the chess board over, frustration ablaze in his eyes. He had to tell them, but by the time they would know, it would have to be too late. He was going on a suicide mission; he might as well write his suicide letter.

He got out the pen and paper and slumped in front of the coffee table. The scratching of the pen on the paper rung in his ears like a continuos echo, but he ignored it.

Gaby,

When you read this, I would have already left. In fact, when you read this, I may already be dead. Albert and his men are at his house two miles away from Moscow. Tell Solo to warn Saunders. I've already found where it is. They're holding Alexei Kosygin there, so you can Lyudmila too. 

Send the CIA, KGB and many over there. But don't go. Send Solo and his army of clowns, but please, don't worry about me. Look after yourself. When this is over, lead a good life. You deserved so much more than what we've been able to provide for you. Just, please, take care of yourself. And maybe Solo, if he's nice.

If I die, please tell my family personally, especially my sister Maria, if she isn't already dead. I've written the address below. Tell her I love her.

The reason I don't want you to come, is because the kidnapper and leader of the rebel group is the one you encountered in Germany who stole your innocence, if you remember our conversation. I will kill him personally. I promise.

I love you, and I guess I like Solo a little bit too, 

Illya