Chapter 26: Lyudmila's Phone Call

Lyudmila tensely sat on the bed, as she tried to concentrate on the artwork around her. Failing to distract herself, she gnawed on her nails instead, until her nails were reduced to small stubs.

Then the phone rang.

It was a strange sensation as the expected phone call rang like a distant echo in her ears. She picked up the phone and slowly pressed it to her ear.

"Miss Kosygin, you have three days left to deposit the money into the private bank account, of which you already have the details. If you call the police, we will kill your father. If you attempt to alert your agents, we will kill your father. If you do the following and still don't deposit the money, we will find your mother and kill her too. If you still don't decide to compromise, we'll kill every friend and relation you have within a year."

"You're evil..."

"Listen, Miss Kosygin. It's all good business. We need to take back what belongs to the people."

Lyudmila could feel the hot tears rolling down her cheeks. "I don't know the password to my father's bank account..."

"That's not our problem. It's yours now. For the sake of your family..."

The phone clicked, and Lyudmila composed herself.