Chapter 5: The Morning Before Leaving

The next day, Solo got up from the bed as he heard the first trains of the morning make the whole of Belarus shake. The hotel was silent, but his mind was clouded with thoughts as he calmly helped himself to some coffee.

Gaby and Illya were definitely still asleep, he thought. Maybe not Gaby.

He walked over to the hotel room next to his, still wearing his dressing gown hardly covering his body. As he knocked, he realized it was open. Inside, Gaby had fallen asleep on the armchair in the corner of the room, still holding a glass of vodka. Solo smiled and took the glass of alcohol, struggling with her grip. He tapped her shoulder, scaring her as she awoke. Her vision was a blur at first, and she squinted to see Solo looking down on her.

She rolled her eyes at the sight. "What are you doing here?" She hastily got up from the armchair.

"I thought you should know we have a train to catch this morning." Solo cleared his through. "As you're now my wife."

Gaby poured herself a cup of coffee and glared at him. "I'm not your wife until we leave this hotel."

"Gaby," Solo made himself comfortable as he sat down on the armchair. "I wanted to tell you something important."

"Why don't you get Illya?"

Solo sighed. "Because you know just as well as I do, that Peril tends to have a bit of a..." he paused, choosing his words carefully, "temper when it comes to his relationship with you."

"I know," Gaby pursed her lips. "He gets on the defensive side. So what? Wouldn't any man?"

"I just need you to promise me something," Solo looked at her seriously as she gulped down the coffee. "You won't engage with Illya in public. At all."

Gaby sighed. "He already talked to me about this yesterday."

"You're inexperienced as an agent," Solo saw the expression on her face and continued to talk to defend himself. "It's got to be said!"

"This is my third mission!"

"Technically, the first two don't count because you were employed and led by a crazy, British, nuclear weapon-obsessed maniac." Solo pointed out. "And you were gravely injured and kidnapped in both of them."

Gaby could feel her insides boil as she tried to think of something else to say. But she couldn't: because he was right. She hated how he was right. "I'll prove it to Saunders."

"You better," he laughed. "Because otherwise he'll send you to America for three years of training with the CIA."

Gaby grunted, refusing to engage in the conversation anymore. "When are we leaving?"

"In half an hour. Illya will join us on the train at a later time, in a different cabin."