Chapter 27: The Moscow Kremlin

Gaby clenched her fists together as the cab dropped them off in front of the Moscow Kremlin. Towering, multi-coloured swirling towers loomed over them, with the doors and windows resembling sugared candy. They paused as they looked up at the palace with civilians bustling past them.

"Where's Salnekov?" Solo whispered to Gaby as they started walking to the doors of the Kremlin. "I can't see him."

"Me neither," Gaby relaxed her fists and breathed heavily to calm herself. "I'm nervous. Is Illya on the listening device?"

"Of course Peril is listening closely," Solo grinned. "He's got nothing better to do."

When they got closer to the Kremlin, a shadow was starting to become clear to them. The silhouette of Sergei Salnekov was in front of them, smiling sinisterly.

"Mr. and Mrs. Hughwart!" He eyed the couple suspiciously, noticing they were standing at least a foot away from each other. "It's a pleasure to see you again."

"And you, sir." Solo shook his hand politely.

"Please, call me Sergei."

"Then you must call me Hugh."

Gaby shook Salnekov's hand and smiled at him. "We are honoured to have you guide us around the Kremlin, Mr Salnekov."

"Please, follow me."

The Red Square was muffled with people's footsteps, all looking happier than the next.

"The Kremlin includes five palaces, four cathedrals and the Kremlin wall with Kremlin towers. It serves as the official residence of the leader of the Russian Federation." Salnekov pointed out certain towers and areas of the Kremlin to the couple.

"It's fascinating," Solo clicked impatiently his pen, avoiding writing anything down in his notepad. "Sergei, I would like to give my condolences for your colleague, Alexei Kosygin..."

Suddenly, Salnekov stopped in his tracks and turned to look at the couple. "Excuse me?"

"I heard about the news of the chairman of your council, Alexei Kosygin. I just wanted to share my condolences as he must have been a good friend..."

Salnekov took a step closer to Solo, furrowing his brow. "What have you heard?"

"A few rumours..."

"Like?"

There was a pause as Solo chose his words carefully. "We've heard about your brother, Albert."

"There's nothing more to say about him."

"I'm sorry, sir."

Salnekov smiled devilishly at them at the couple. "Any questions about the matter?"

Solo felt tense at the notion. "No, sir. Sorry if I offended..."

"Now let me ask a question, Mr Hughwart, if you don't mind."

"Of course."

"I've had the pleasure of meeting you and your wife a couple of times. Don't you find it... unusual that you haven't touched or been affectionate to each other even once?"

Gaby felt a lump in her throat begin to grow as Salnekov's eyes pierced her heart. She could sense the tension as Illya could hear everything being said. She turned to Solo and grabbed his hand hastily.