Chapter 33: The Note

Solo's feet were numb when he had woken up, but his stomach was still fiery with the alcohol he had drunk heavily last night. The glass was still perched in his hand, and he put it down on the table. It must have been early in the morning, as he awoke at only the crack of dawn.

Inside, Gaby had fallen asleep on the bed. She was sprawled down on the sheets, still wearing the same hairstyle and dress from yesterday. Solo decided not to disturb her, and instead went to see if Illya was still awake.

He's probably playing a damn chess game, Solo grinned, already imagining all the ways he could tease and irritate the Russian spy.

He made sure the door was firmly closed when he left the room and he knocked on Illya's door. To his surprise, it was open. Illya was the agent who took the most care when it came to safety: this was very unlike him and Solo knew it. He slowly went through the door and looked around, nearly missing the note on the coffee table, propped up in front of a shot glass. Solo picked up the letter, and read it. His eyes widened as he kept reading, realising that Illya had already left. He was in serious danger.

"Idiot!" Solo clenched his fists with the letter still inside and ran back to the hotel suite.

He nudged Gaby and she woke up suddenly. "Solo, what is it?" She was quickly alerted by his expression, still in shock. 

Solo held up the letter to Gaby's face. "Illya's gone. He found where the rebels were keeping Kosygin."

"WHAT?!" Gaby leapt out of the bed and grabbed the letter from Solo's grasp. "Why... Solo this is bad..."

"He could already be dead." Solo pulled on his shoes and quickly grabbed the phone. He dialled the numbers and impatiently tutted as the phone rang on the other end. "Saunders? This is Solo. Locate Albert Salnekov's house, two miles out of Moscow. Call the KGB and send the CIA. Get there quickly, they're holding Alexei Kosygin there and they're all holding a meeting. Go now before they kill him." 

Solo smashed the phone down and Gaby put on her shoes quickly. "Why wouldn't you tell them about Illya?"

"You think the KGB and CIA are going to send a bunch of agents to save one guy? This isn't Saving Private fucking Ryan."

Gaby flinched at his words. He looked one last time in Solo's eyes before she grabbed her jacket. She had never seen him so angry before. She could not believe he cared so much for Illya. Normally, she would have teased him about it, but she knew now was not the time.