Chapter 39: Reunited

Gaby was sitting in the police car, black and blue lights illuminating her face. She had given up on banging on the car window; it hadn't even cracked slightly. Instead, she had resorted to quietly crying and holding Illya's note that Solo had thrown in the car before he had closed the door. It was screwed up and tattered, but it comforted her all the same to have it in her hand; it was as if it was Illya's hand in hers. She was so amerced in her thoughts and tears, that she did not hear Solo knock on the car window at first. 

"Gaby?" Solo nervously cleared his throat and opened the car door. 

Gaby's eyes immediately focused on the blurred world around her when she heard the car door click open. She hesitated at first, terrified of the thought that Solo was going to tell her Illya hadn't made it, and was waiting in one of the body bags. But it wasn't Solo she saw first: it was Illya. She looked up at the Russian KGB agent and stumbled out of the car into his arms. 

"You're such an idiot," Gaby mumbled and wiped away her tears with the back of her hand. "Solo wouldn't let me in."

"Good," Illya tried not to look at the CIA agent, but it was hard not to feel grateful. "I'm glad."

"You're both..." Gaby couldn't find the words and instead focused on burying her face into Illya's chest. "It doesn't matter anymore though."

"On the contrary, Agent Teller, it does."

Gaby broke the embrace and turned to face Saunders.