Chapter 23: Sergei Salnekov

In crowded and enchantingly beautiful capital city of Russia near the famous Moscow Kremlin, a young, American couple and a former, Russian sergeant in the military were led by a young woman into a secluded office area where most of the council resided. The young woman led the group of people in, and then quickly exited the area to wait in the car outside, next to a group of police officers.

Inside the building, the couple were guided by the former sergeant around the building. The husband took notes on his pad and his wife marvelled around at the infrastructure of the building. It was made to resemble and blend in with the Kremlin, but it still had a modern air to it. Businessmen and politicians were walking at a quick pace around them, hardly giving them a second look. Most of them were red-faced and pompous, but a thin and old man with a shrivelled face soon left an office and was making his way down the same corridor as the couple and the sergeant. Suddenly, the sergeant stopped the man hastily.

"Mr Salnekov, I believe?" The sergeant asked him politely. When the politician nodded at him, the sergeant turned to the group of people behind him. "My name is Victor Mustafin. I just came back from East Germany and I've recently retired after serving as a sergeant. I'm a good friend of Mr Alexei Kosygin."

The sergeant shook hand with Salnekov who tried to return the smile. "Nice to meet you, Mr Mustafin."

"Sir, please let me introduce you to Mr Nicolas Hughwart, and his wife, Mrs Eliza Hughwart." The sergeant stepped out of the way to introduce Salnekov to the couple behind him.

They all shook hands and Nicolas Hughwart held his notepad tighter. "I'm from America, Mr Salnekov. I work for a travel magazine in New York and I've come to Moscow to ask some of the most influential politicians here a few questions about the city. I was wondering if I could take a moment out of your time to ask you a few questions, sir."

"Only a moment," Salnekov quickly lifted his sleeve to look at his watch.

Nicolas got out a pen from his pocket. "How is it working in Moscow at this time of year?"

Salnekov sighed dramatically. "Crowded because of damned tourists everywhere. It's impossible to get to work in the morning."

"Is Moscow improving tourist and attraction-wise?"

"If you like standing in the cold staring at buildings and paying for over-priced street food, then yes, Mr Hughwart."

Nicolas let his pen rest on the notepad. "Is your colleague willing to let us interview him too, sir? I believe he's the chairman of the council."

"No," Salnekov suddenly paid closer attention. "I'm afraid Mr Alexei Kosygin was involved in an attack on his house this morning. No one has heard from him since."

"How awful!" Eliza Hughwart yelped.

"Yes, the police have been here already and searched through his office."

"Send our blessings to his family and friends." The sergeant sadly added.

Salnekov rolled his eyes. "Between you and me, Mr Hughwart, I don't think his disappearance is all bad..."

"Really?" Nicolas raised his eyebrows. "Why?"

"Not a lot of people in this office agreed with Kosygin's politics. Especially not me." He shook his head. "It's a shame, but a new chairman won't do us any harm. In fact, we could see some significant improvements."

"I guess you're right, sir," the sergeant nodded agreeing with Salnekov. "This country needs a little change. We're in a new era."

"Exactly, Mr Mustafin." Salnekov smiled grandly. "I had a little... argument with Mr Kosygin yesterday. He was rather concerned about an attack. He is more concerned, in fact, about his possible attacker than looking after the country. His daughter and wife always seem to go before the job too. We need someone with good priorities; not someone who goes running scared because of differing opinions."

"He sounds very incompetent," Nicolas put his pen away.

"Yes, indeed..." Salnekov thinks to himself for a while before turning back to Nicolas. "Do you have anymore questions, Mr Hughwart?"

"No, sir. I just wanted to ask a couple. Thank you for your time though."

Salnekov shook his hand firmly again. "You're welcome." He shook Eliza and Victor's hand in turn. "It was a pleasure meeting you."

Salnekov quickly paced off to another office. The couple and the sergeant hastily left the area. The woman was still waiting for them in the car. Lyudmila smiled at them when they opened the car door.

"So?"

There was a pause as they all got inside and firmly shut the door behind them, making sure nobody could listen in to their conversation. "I think he bought it." Solo smiled and turned the car engine on, making them quickly speed away from the building and into the busy roads of Moscow. On the way, the U.N.C.L.E. team recounted what Salnekov had told them in the office building to Lyudmila, who listened carefully in order to process all of the information.

"I think I could find out more," Lyudmila said, after listening to Solo reveal all the information possible.

Illya scoffed. "He's clearly guilty..."

"Maybe not," Solo thought trying to clear his mind. "I don't so any reason why we shouldn't let Miss Kosygin do her part in the mission."

Lyudmila smiled at Solo. "I want do my part. I will do anything to find my father and make sure he's safe."

"Then you should visit Salnekov." Gaby interrupted. "He clearly knows your father well and if he's been in your house he must have met you in person."

"He has."

"Then it shouldn't be strange for you to go to his house and tell him about your father being missing..."

"He already knows he's missing," Solo corrected Gaby.

"But his friend's daughter doesn't know he knows, remember?" Gaby smiled mischievously. "Miss Kosygin, are you sure you will be able to handle this?"

"Positive," Lyudmila nodded at the agents.

"Good. We'll wire you so we can hear your conversation with him." Illya showed her the device hidden in the front seat of the car.

"We'll also be able to tell if you're in danger, and then we'll intervene." Solo assured her. "You'll be completely safe."

"Agents, with all due respect, with my father already missing and in danger, I'm the last person you should be worried about."