Chapter 15: The Motives

MOTIVE ONE

"My father is a politician," Lyudmila started. "We often go to rallies in towns to spread our politics to the people of Russia. The most obvious motive is that they don't agree with my father's politics or have a problem with the way the country is being run, so they are targeting him."

"Sounds like a strong enough motive," Gaby agreed, nodding along to all of Lyudmila's words. "Are you suggesting this could be one particular person or group you know?"

"No. Not everyone's going to agree with what I say, obviously. This could be any one of these people." Kosygin replied.

Illya raised an eyebrow. "This could be multiple different people sending letters just to scare you."

Lyudmila's eyes widened. "Do you mean this could be people who don't know each other sending letters to us?"

"Maybe." Illya replied.

"The handwritings the same though." Solo laid the letters out. "It's very particular. I analysed it closely yesterday, and it's nearly impossible for different people to have the same exact handwriting."

MOTIVE TWO

"There are a lot of people who would kill for my position." Kosygin shivered when he thought about it. "I'm the chairman, meaning I control the rest of the council. I know a lot of people who could want to take my place."

"Interesting," Solo rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "That's not an uncommon motive for assassinating a politician."

"It would have to be someone who's able to get away with it." Illya added. "Someone rich who knows a lot of people."

"You're describing most of my colleagues, Agent Kuryakin, unfortunately." Kosygin sighed. "You'd have to interview everyone."

MOTIVE THREE

"A rebel group."

Illya sighed. "We're used to those."

"There are many in this country: especially in Moscow." Lyudmila added. "They're more dangerous and fearless than other rebel groups, Mr Solo."

"I wouldn't be surprised if it was a rebel group." Kosygin agreed with his daughter.

Gaby stopped scribbling down the motives and turned to them. "Have you ever thought it could be a couple of these motives into one?"

"Maybe," Lyudmila thought about it. "Of course it could be."

Solo got up from the table. "It was nice meeting you, Mr Kosygin and Miss Lyudmila." He shook both of their hands, as did Gaby and Illya. "We'll leave you if that's OK. We have a few things to think about and we have new motives to analyse."

The U.N.C.L.E. group hastily left the house. Solo turned to them both. "We need to set up a plan."