Chpt 2

Chapter 2: Nasir

“What is 4x5?”

“20.”

“8x9?”

“72.”

“7x4?”

“28. Mom, I know my time tables! That’s not what I’m having problems on.” Keymani whined. “That’s not what your teacher said Mani. You failed your multiplication test yesterday. You need to study.” I said. “It’s not my fault. I freeze up when I take a test. I’m stupid.” Keymani pouted her lips. “You got that right.” Cameron said and laughed. “Cameron shut up!” Keymani screamed. “Both of you stop, “I looked at Keymani, “You’re not stupid baby. You just have to learn how to relax, okay?” Keymani nodded her head and went upstairs to her room with Cameron walking behind her. “Can you believe how big they’ve gotten?” Lizbeth said. She was sitting down at the bar sipping on some wine. “I know, it’s crazy. Keymani is looking more like Kindell every day.”  I said smiling. “How are you holding up?” Lizbeth asked after about five minutes of uncomfortable silence. “I’m hanging in there; I feel much better now, but Keymani still miss him a lot. I don’t blame her though; that was a big piece of her life that was ripped away from her.” I said. “I know. Tyrone’s still taking it hard; it’s like he’s spending more time in the streets than at home with his family. We barely see each other anymore. Not to mention we haven’t had sex in forever!” Lizbeth whined. I laughed. “Is that the only thing you worry about?” I poured myself a glass of wine. “I have needs!” Lizbeth protested. The sound of the doorbell ceased our conversation. “That must be Myra.” Lizbeth said and got up to open the door. “Wassup my bitch?!” Myra screamed and hugged Lizbeth tightly. “Hey big daddy.” Lizbeth jokily said. I shook my head; these two were two peas in a pod. “Nasir, it took me forever to find your place.” Myra said while hugging me. “I don’t know why, I gave you the directions.” I said. “I know, but I’m so use to going by you and King’s old house that I forgot. Speaking of him, how are you holding up boo?” Myra asked. “I’m fine guys really. You know his birthday is in a few days. I was thinking about doing something special.” I said. “How old is he turning? 25?” Lizbeth said. “No 26.” I poured Myra a glass of wine. “Oh thank you girl I needed that.” Myra immediately gulped the drink down, “More please.” I poured her another glass; she gulped that down, too. “You know what? Just give me the whole damn bottle.” Myra said. “So, what are you going to do?” Lizbeth asked. I shrugged, “I don’t know. Probably have a BBQ and then go visit his grave.”

“That sounds like a plan. I’ll tell Jay.” Myra said. It was nice to have a third addition to my lil group. After Shoni’s betrayal, I couldn’t find anyone to really hang with except Lizbeth. Myra was a cool person and easy to chill with; she’s kinda crazy, too. “Wassup with you and Tyrone?” Myra looked at Lizbeth. She rolled her eyes and twiddled with her engagement ring. “I don’t know. Tyrone isn’t the same Tyrone anymore. I mean I know he’s taking it hard about King’s death, but he’s neglecting me and Cameron. Cam has been begging Tyrone to spend time with him, but he keeps filling him up with false hope and empty promises. I don’t know what to do.” Lizbeth started to chew her lip. She started to pick that up as a habit now. Every time she gets nervous about something, she chews her lip. “Anyways, I gotta go. Hopefully this nigga gon be there when I get home. Cameron! Let’s go!” Cameron came down the stairs and kissed me on the cheek. “Bye Auntie Nasir.”

“Bye baby.”