I Accept You

STEF POV

STEF POV

"Honey,  you really need to just relax. I have never seen someone so uptight in my life." My mother said as we sat at the kitchen table drinking coffee. She had been staying at a  local hotel since I had gotten shot even though I told her she didn't need to stick around. I was doing pretty well now and barely needed to use my cane even if I had not been approved to go back to work yet which was driving me nuts.

"Mom I'm not uptight. We just have alot of things to do and I don't have time for this injury."

"Well, no one ever has time for a gunshot injury Stefanie. And you are lucky to be alive and walking. What in the hell were you thinking going into a house like that with no backup."

"Mom I did what I needed to do ok. My baby was in trouble." I said taking another sip and sitting up a little more for my wound was still feeling sore.

"Listen, I understand that. I do. But would it have killed you to throw on a vest. Would it have killed you to call for help? Instead of just barging in there like you can handle the world alone. I don't understand why you feel the need to do that. To take on everything yourself." She said shaking her head as I rolled my eyes.

"Mama look I know it was impulsive ok. I know. It wasn't smart. But I couldn't risk something happening to her and at that moment that was all I was thinking about."

"I get it. I get it very much. I know how you are when it comes to these children. I've seen it in the short amount of time I have been here and I saw it with Jude. But when risking your life like that you aren't thinking of all of them honey. You aren't. I see the way those kids look at you, I see the way your partner looks at you. You are surly what is holding this family together so please think next time. Takes two seconds to call back up and to put a vest on. Please."

"Ok mama. I will." I said as she placed her hand on top of mine.

"You're still my baby. Even at 42 you still are. And I wish I could protect you. Lord knows I wish I could."

"You do mom. You have always protected me. I didn't get this way on my own." I smiled as she leaned in gently kissing my forehead and hugging me warmly.

"I love you baby. I Love you very much."

"I love you too mom." Warmly I hugged her back as my body melted into hers. Even if my mother drove me up the wall I loved her so deeply. She had been my heart and of course I felt bad not cluing her into every part of my life. Pulling apart now she winked at me as I leaned back taking a sip of coffee.

"Now, Stefanie, why didn't you me of this beautiful new life you have with Lena. I had to meet her in the hosptial when you were on your death bed."

"Mom don't be so dramatic please. I told you about her."

"Yes very little. And very little about Callie and Mariana."

"Everything just happened very fast mom. I didn't start out to keep things from you."