It's Where You Belong

CALLIE POV

"So how was it with you dad? Was it weird?" I asked Jude as the two of us finished washing the dishes from dinner and I switched on the holiday radio station. With everything going on he had not said much about his dad showing up at the hosptial which I wasn't too shocked about. Jude I learned was very reserved and quiet like mom and wanted to handle things himself. But I tried to pry things out of him when I could especially when I knew it was bugging him.

"MM yes and no. It was different I guess."

"Yeah?" I said handing him another dish to dry.

"Yeah. I think he just came because he felt bad about mom. I don't think he wanted to see me or anything or her."

"What makes you say that?"

"I haven't heard from him in months. Mom gets shot, almost dies and he shows up. He left us with nothing." He said shaking his head and growing visibly angry.

"I get it Jude. Believe me. When bad things happen sometimes it makes people think. It shakes them up and they start to rethink the way they behaved or what they said to people. Or how they treated them. Did you guys talk at all?"

"For a little bit. He wants to take me out to lunch."

"Well, how do you feel about it?"

"I don't I'm not interested."

Letting out a sigh I put the last dish down and placed my hand on his young shoulders.

"Buddy if anyone understands it's me. I didn't want to see or talk to my dad for months. For months and I gave him hell. But you know what. Eventually I got tired of being mad and I heard him out. I listened to what he had to say. I mean I was angry at mama for a long time too and I finally listened to what she had to say too. It wasn't easy and I know your dad said some terrible things and I know he didn't treat mom right. But here him out. If it sucks don't talk him after that. No one is forcing you." His eyes continued to look into mine as I could see the confliction on his face.

"Cals I can't. I would be disloyal."

"To who?" I asked

"To mom."

"Jude. You know mom doesn't want you to feel that way and I'm pretty sure she wants you to have a relationship with your dad. I'm pretty positive. She was really supportive with mine and he said really nasty things about her at one time. Just think about it and don't right him off yet. He might surprise you."

As he continued to look into my eyes I smiled ruffling his hair as she smiled back.

"I'll think about it I guess."

"That's a start." I said pulling him into my side for a hug. Something I had so clearly picked up from Stef without even noticing.

"Now let's finish this so we can sneak some dessert."

"Callie I missed you here. It was really quiet."

"I missed being here. Alot"

"I hope its permanent this time." he admitted.

"Me too. But I have a feeling it is."

STEF POV

"Hey sweets can we come in." I said knocking on the door as both Lena and I had our doubts that Mariana was really asleep.

"Maybe she really is asleep baby."

"Yeah and I can fly." I joked as Lena hit my arm laughing.

Opening it slowly now the only light on was the nightlight plugged into the wall. However I could clearly see Mariana laying on her back on the bottom bunk as Lena took my other arm and we walked in slowly as I balanced myself on my cane.