Hurt And Guilt

STEF POV

STEF POV

"Next time you two are to listen to me. Understood?" I sad sternly looking the both of them in the eyes as we sat in the waiting room.

"Sorry we just were worried." Mariana said.

"I understand love. But Mariana honey you can't just leave like that. I'm technically not even allowed to have you at my house without adult supervision and I could have gotten your foster parents in trouble for that. Especially if something had happened to you there and on your way here. Next time please do as I say. Do you understand honey?" I said warmly but judging by the look on her face I could instantly see it might not have gone over well.

"Why she's 15? I thought the legal age is 13 mom to be home alone." Jude questioned.

"No. It's not that. It's because I'm a foster kid. But listen you don't need to worry about me anymore. I can leave and you won't have to deal with me again." she said getting up faster then I thought for I knew now for sure I had unintentionally hurt her feelings as I got up quickly gently grabbing her hand.

"Hey, hey. Honey. Mariana love." I said managing to stop her in the hall as her eyes looked to floor.

"Sweetheart come here." Gently holding her hand I walked to a nearby chair sitting down as her eyes still had not looked into mine.

"Sit on my lap princess." Upon hearing this she looked at me puzzled.

"Aren't I too heavy?"

"No. Come here baby." Softly I smiled once again extending my arms out as she reluctantly sat on my leg now her head down as I stroked the side her face and ran my fingers through her long black hair.

"Look at me my girl." I said a few moments later as she hesitantly looked at me her face tear stained. Gently I began to wipe them now feeling guilty that I had been the cause of them.

"You know that was some wild story you told the nurse. I even started to believe it." I chuckled as she let out a small smile.

"I'm use to making up stories." she said shrugging her shoulders as I continued to stroke her hair.

"Yeah why's that baby?"

"I don't know. To get out of stuff I guess. I've always told stories. When real life got to painful it was easier to believe some silly story or lie or to pretend something so you could at least make it to another day. Is that stupid?" With that she looked to me as I let out another warm smile for I had a feeling what she was referring on.

"No honey it's not. It's not stupid at all sweetness." Her eyes now diverted back to the ground.

"Listen honey, I apologize how I worded myself back there. Sometimes I am not the best at explaining things. Especially when I panic. There were alot of things going on last night and this morning that I wasn't able to tell you guys just yet and I didn't want to have to worry about the both of you as well. Even though I can't help that."