When Heartache Hits

LENA POV

LENA POV

"There are so many shelters." I said as Jude, Callie and I had driving around for the last twenty minutes with no real plan but to try every shelter in the vicinity to see if anyone had seen Mariana.. I admit it was nerve-wracking for I knew both Mariana and Stef was out there alone and it had been an hour since I heard from Stef despite me calling her numerous times.

"Maybe if we call asking who they have checked in mama?" Callie suggested

"Yes honey.

"But what if she goes back home?" Jude said as I heard my phone go off as I was hoping to god it was Stef saying she had found Mariana and they were both safe.

"Stef!" I yelled into the speaker.

"Is this Lena Adams?"

"Yes this is. Who is speaking?"

"This is San Diego Memorial Hospital." Stopping the car I picked the phone up taking it off speaker and holding it to my ear.

"Yes. Can I help you?"

"We have your partner here. Stefanie Foster. I'm afraid she's, she's been shot Mrs. Adams."

With this I wasn't sure If I had heard right. If my mind was playing tricks on me for right at this moment my heart was no longer beating. It had completely stopped as my mouth went silent and my body felt numb.

"What? Is she...is she..."I manged to get out.

"She's very critical." Closing my eyes I swallowed hard as I could feel both Callie and Jude's eyes on me and I just couldn't bear to look at either of them.

"I will be right there." I said my voice cracking as I hung up the phone.

"Whats wrong mama? What is it?" I heard them both say as I wiped the tears from my eyes. "Who called from the hospital?" Callie asked nervously.

"Um guys listen, Stef um..

"Stef what?"

"What's wrong with my mom?" Jude said now crying and I looked to him and Callie.

"Guys she was hurt."

"Hurt how? Hurt how?" Jude asked again.

"She was shot."

Right at this moment the silence in the car was beyond anything.

"But she's ok right? Mom is ok right?" Callie asked with tears in her eyes as she held Jude's hand tight and I held both of their hands even tighter as I tried harder then ever to compose myself. But it was difficult. Very.

"She will be. She is critical but she will be ok. She's very strong guys. We know this. Right?"

Callie nodded her head as she looked to Jude and he broke down in tears as my daughter hugged him tight. Leaning in I hugged the both of them not only worried about my partner but where in the hell was Mariana when we heard Callie's phone go off. Pulling apart she looked to it as tears filled her eyes.