The Secret

"I don't want to go, no way

"I don't want to go, no way." Callie said defiantly shaking her head at the sudden mention of having dinner at Stef's. As she tried to process her mother's words there was just absolutely no way she was going, no way in hell not even if someone had paid her for she wanted absolutely nothing to do with that woman much less go to some creepy dinner at her apartment or wherever she lived. For what really Callie's mind was thinking. Was her mother finally going to be honest and tell her what the hell was going on? Was she? Was she going to admit something that the teen didn't want to hear at all? Was she gay? Was she ..was she with this..this cop? Is this why she split there family up? Was it? Callie had not one clue as her mind raced endlessly with a million and one thoughts, but she knew for sure that it would be more then just a dinner. That she knew and the thought only exacerbated the rage that she had kept locked inside of her for weeks. But now she was going to explode. For she could feel it, the explosion and eruption was soon going to spill over any minute and it would be directed right at her lying clueless mother who she couldn't even bare to look at. In her mind she was wondering if Lena was completely blind or thought that she couldn't see what had been going. Callie could do nothing but remain silent for a few moments as she bitterly glanced out the passenger window of the Volvo in the parking lot of Anchor Beach that early Friday morning.

Lena herself stared heartbroken at her daughter for she wasn't really surprised at her reaction, even if she had hoped and wished it had been different. It had been one of the main reasons she had found herself procrastinating all week in terms of telling Callie for she knew it would just be another battle to add to their daily list of battles and the week itself had already proven to be exhausting and challenging enough. Monday she had met with Timothy and his divorce attorneys and as predicted when she came clean about her relationship with Stef Foster and her sexuality he exploded going on a tyrant of unspeakable rants promising to make her life a living hell. He not only was determined to ruin her reputation at Anchor Beach but Timothy was suing for full custody of Callie and threatening to move her far away so that she would never see her daughter again. If that wasn't enough he wanted the house, the two cars, and eerily promised to expose her sexuality to every school district known and tarnish her name through the mud so that she would have no chance at ever getting a job again. Lena knew this was crap for she was protected by her rights and nowhere was it a crime to be a lesbian. Nowhere at all. In fact she wasn't the least bit worried about her job, her home or any of that. The thing that concerned her more then anything was the thought of losing her little girl and how her father would poison her mind with all kind of lies about her. That scared her to no end for Callie from day one had been her heart and life.

As Lena sat next to her young and very angry teenage daughter she realized it had been nearly ten years since she had first laid eyes on little five year old Callie Jacobs when the young and terribly frightened girl had been enrolled at Anchor Beach for the kindergarten program. From that first day Lena noticed instantly that something seemed very off with her as she certainly did not behave like your typical five year old. Coming from a background and P.H.D in child psychology she knew that not all children behaved in the same manner but Callie was incredibly withdrawn, and almost void of any energy as if it had been sucked out of her young life. Each day Lena would watch the sweet girl walk slowly into her classroom with her head facing all the way down as if she was almost trying to avoid any eye contact whatsoever, or as if she was too afraid. Lena took it upon herself to make a habit of greeting the little girl each morning but still no peep came from her mouth.