Chapter 43 (Under Editing)

"What are you talking about, Balthazar?" I question as we're walking down an empty hallway. He explained to me that I was an angel and that much I had already guessed for myself. Why didn't I remember any of this? "We were set to get married?"

All he does is nod as he continues walking. His hand found its way to the small of my back to help guide me through the winding and everlasting corridors of the main building in heaven. In my stomach, I feel a sense of safety when he does this, warm and familiar. I don't know what to think of anything that's happened in the past couple of months.

"We were perfect," he begins, "you were the amount of fire-power that accommodated to me and I was the right amount of relaxation that balanced it out. We were each other's safe haven, even in heaven."

"I don't remember any of this," I try and dismiss the conversation altogether, but I know that it will come back up sooner or later. We have nothing but time right now to talk. I wanted nothing more than to ask him questions about myself, but I wouldn't enjoy being selfish when he is obviously upset about me disappearing; if I even disappeared in the first place.

"Cassie," he interrupts my thoughts, "you have a small percentage of your grace still kindling inside of you. When you get it all back, you will remember everything. That's why you would rather Castiel call you Cassie. I was the first one to call you that."

Somehow, I know there's a truth to his words. Every time I think of the name in my head, it's always in an accent. I want to find out more.

"Who am I? To heaven anyway?" I ask and he stops, turning on his heel to look down at me.

His gaze is gentle, "That's not for me to tell you. You're not the only one who is going to be an outlaw around here if this ends badly." His tone is grave and it sends shivers down my spine, I try to shrug it off.

"What could go wrong?"

{Deans POV}

"It's too late for kids to be at the park," Callie meets my gaze in the rear view mirror. She's obviously never seen the gate to heaven before. It's a playground and there are two kids on the swings, staring up at the moon, their senses on high alert.

"They're not kids," Sam explains as he rummages through the duffle-bag of weapons. "They're angels."

Callies expression dissolves into somewhat of a curiosity; she looks disgusted, intrigued, and ultimately furious. She keeps her mouth shut, but her face says everything that she's thinking. I was the same way when I found out that angels and demons could possess children.

"This would be a great time to reach out to Cas," I mention and look at Sam.

Sam looks disgruntled, "What? You know that bastard doesn't answer to me. I've already tried," his words hang in the silence and I can feel tension cutting through the air.

I can understand Sam's resentment against me. He really cares for and loves Cassie, but her heart just isn't his to hold. Thinking back, I remember the werewolf that Sam finally had a thing for after Jessica died; their kind of devotion was real. The gleam in their eyes when they looked at one another was truly astounding.

"I haven't even met this Castiel yet, so don't look at me," Callie disrupts my train of thought.

Dammit, that would mean I would have to call him. Sometimes I resent Castiel, Cassie used to have visions that were about him coming to her and asking her questions and giving her advice. Jealousy catches the Mark on fire and I grit my teeth. All of that doesn't matter anymore, Cas has gotten Sammy and I out of jams more times than I can even count. He is family.

I turn to the front of the car again and stare out the windshield; closing my eyes, I silently hope that this praying crap will work. The Mark makes it difficult sometimes.

Cas, I think, if you can hear me, I need your help.

I keep my eyes closed for a few more beats, then I look around.

Nothing.

I look up at the branches and there is only a slight breeze. There is no sign at all of Castiel. Sam clears his throat and sniffs awkwardly, and I can hear Callie snicker.

My eyes roll as I close them again, truly reaching out to my best friend.

Castiel, I need you.

"Yes, Dean?" I jump and turn to see Castiel in the passenger seat.

"What the hell is your problem?" Sam scolds him, "We've been trying to contact you for weeks!"

Castiel considers Sam for a moment and then shrugs, looking mildly disinterested.

"I can't just drop what I'm doing for just anyone," he says blandly.

Sam huffs and looks at me, "And you can show up for him?"

Castiel repeats his actions from earlier and continues to look out the windshield. The wind is picking up, and there is a light growing in the middle of the playground. Someone is coming and the guard angels back away. Two bodies emerge from the portal, and I realize that one of them is Cassie. On instinct, I hop out of the car and charge over there, someone followed her out and I don't want her to get hurt. When I hear the other angel talking to her, I hear the accent and automatically recognize it as Balthazar.

"Cassie!" I shout. Her head raises and she looks directly at me. Cassie's face lights up and her smile brightens the small field between us.

Suddenly, the portal opens again and a hand shoots out, grabbing Cassie by her hair. It pulls her and threatens to take her back into heaven.

"Cassie!" Balthazar shouts and I finally reach the playground. He grabs her arm and pulls her forward, struggling to keep his grip. I jump to grab her leg and save her, but I'm too late and Balthazar is too weak.

She is plunged back into heaven, and she rips my heart from my chest to keep forever.