Chapter 16 (Under Editing)

{Deans POV}

"Did he answer?" Sam asked me and I shook my head. Castiel knew something, and I was sure that he did. How else did Cassie know his name?

"Guys?" Cassie caught our attention, "Aren't we supposed to be going to a case?" She tried to be so strong, and I felt bad for her. I made her kill a monster, I made her endure my cruelty. I didn't want to be like that anymore. I wanted to protect her, she seemed so fragile in that state.

"Yeah..yeah," I replied and ruffled her hair and she sighed as I got out of the car and got back into the drivers seat. Sam stayed back with her and a pang of jealousy grew in my stomach; which was ridiculous, I knew that Sam's feelings for her were those of a big brother. I gripped the steering wheel and started up Baby.

The sun was rising still and I decided that this was my favorite time of the day, not only did the light chase the darkness away from the night before; the sky was painted with soft baby blues and bright white clouds. It was beautiful. Everywhere we went it always seemed to be raining, it was a nice change, a healthy change.

"Oh, damn," I said and pulled over to the side of the road and parked. "I almost forgot."

I headed to the trunk of Baby and opened just the top where our duffle bags were held and I grabbed something out of mine. Back in the car I turned to Cassie and handed her the small woven bag that was tied closed with string.

"Goofer Dust," I explained, "crazy Hoodoo to keep the Hell Hounds away." She nodded and stuffed the small bag in her jacket pocket. Those hounds seemed to think of her as some type of meat, and I wasn't about to allow that to happen again.

{Cassie's POV}

It took a while for us to get to South Dakota. Sam and Dean took turns driving and I had offered to drive once we were inside the city limits, but Dean had turned me down multiple times so I just gave up. I didn't know if I knew how to drive or not, but I thought that the Impala would have been a great test subject to find out in; I guessed all was fair. I always had the back seat, Sam or Dean would sometimes sit back with me, but not all the time.
The sun was on the horizon as we pulled into the parking lot of a police station. Dean put Baby in park and killed the engine.

"Alright," he said and turned to me, as did Sam. "Jody doesn't bite, she comes off very headstrong and, for you, that could probably be quite intimidating," he wore his signature smirk and I rolled my eyes as he continued. "But, I can promise you right now she is just like a mom to Sammy and I."

Sam's face twisted into an unreadable expression and I made a mental note to ask him about it later.

Dean lead us in through the single see through door of the station and there was a younger girl sitting at the reception desk, she looked to be about a year or so younger than I was.

"May I help you?" She asked sweetly and couldn't help but eye Dean up and down. I didn't blame her, he was gorgeous, but I still felt jealously twist in my stomach. Out of impulse I stood closer to Dean.

"Yes," I said bluntly, surprising the boys and myself. "We're looking for Jody Mills."
The girl cleared her throat and tucked a strand of blonde hair behind her small ear and stood. She could have towered a few inches over me and she had a lot more build, but she didn't really intimidate me.
I had no idea why I was reacting to her the way I was, I just had a bad feeling about her. She was beautiful, curvy, a definite threat...but Dean wasn't mine to begin with, so I couldn't go prancing around acting like he was.

She showed us through an office door that read 'Sheriff' in black lettering on the outside of the plain stained window.

"Sherrif Mills," the girl stated formally and stood to attention in front of Jody.

"Yes, Veronica?" she sounded a tad annoyed as she turned around from her desk and towards us, her brown eyes were beautiful and a huge smile played on her lips. "Dean and Sammy Winchester, about damn time you two showed up." She flipped a little bit of the short cropped brown hair out of her eyes and placed her hands on her hips.

"Sorry about that," Sam apologized awkwardly and glanced at Veronica. She was standing there, staring at Dean with almost hungry eyes. I thought I saw red for a second.

Then Jody cleared her throat, "Veronica, you may go." She said it forcefully, as if she felt the same uncomfortable feelings as I did towards the Secretary. As soon as the door clicked shut I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in.

"She's only been here for two weeks and I already feel like I should fire her," Jody whispered and straightened out her Sherrifs coat. "And it's awfully rude of the both of you to not introduce me to this gorgeous young lady, who is this?"

Dean had been silent for some time and I noticed he was holding his forearm. I looked at his face which was twisted with some expression. Pain? Anger? Wrath? I was unsure of which one, but I moved to stand next to him and his posture stiffened.

"That's Cassie," Dean said through clenched teeth and quickly grabbed my wrist. He was burning up and I jumped as he placed my hand on his arm and he let out a breath of relief. I raised an eyebrow and he continued, "She's been hunting with us for a while."

She nodded and looked at the both of us with a raised eyebrow, "Hopefully, Dean, you both are treating her right."

Sam nodded eagerly and smiled, "She's just like a little sister to me."

"Yeah," Jody continued, "to you, but what about Mr. Party-In-My-Pants here?"

I cocked my head to the side in confusion and Dean chuckled, "She doesn't understand references like that."

Jody laughed softly and shook her head, "She sounds like Castiel now. How is he, by the way?"

Sam and Dean shrugged in unison and she sighed, "That's too bad," Jody zipped up her coat and walked around her desk to give Sammy a hug, then she moved to Dean and hugged him too. Then she surprised me by giving me a hug as well, a tight one, strong and firm, but gentle all at once. "Alrighty, we've got a little place just outside of town that's abandoned," she was whispering now, "follow me there. And maybe let Cassie drive." She winked at me and took out her keys as she walked out of the door.

I laughed and looked at Dean who had a scowl on his face. I tried to drop my hands from his arm and he tensed up; catching my hands and wrapping them firmly around his forearm again. Then we followed after Jody.