Chapter Nine.

Chapter Nine.

"She was an idiot, really. I was more frightened she would've punched me in the face after what I said though"Ashby laughed as she walked the last bit of home with me.
"I wouldn't have let her touch you" I told her, staring straight forward, hoping home would never show up because walking with her was the only time we got alone now.
Her hair was down again today in waves around her face, some parts trapped under her bag strap.
"Wow, got the one and only Ardon Caraway in my corner now, aye?" She joked, looking up at me; I fell into those eyes of her again, oh yeah I would back her corner any day.
"It's Donnie and yeah, course. You don't deserve Charlotte or anyone talking to you like" that" I explained, breaking away to kick a pebble across the clear path, letting it go over in the road for then a red car to take it on its next journey but I sneaked sideways glance, she looked down, hiding a smile.
"I thought you and Charlotte were together" She spoke, her tone unemotional as now she was the one staring straight ahead on her.
"Me and Charlotte no way...but...well I mean we had a sort of thing. But never a relationship..." I explained messily, kicking another pebble, this one bounced off her right creeper. The icy weather was painful to my body right now even this conversation wasn't dreadful enough.
"So what was it?" She asked still looking forward.
"I dunno really" I spoke shortly, not wanting to say, Charlotte was one topic I didn't like talking about with Ashby-I didn't really like talking about Charlotte in general though.
"Just physical then?" She spoke plainly. I noticed something flutter in her jaw. I opened my mouth not knowing what to say, I didn't want to lie but then the truth didn't sound the best either.
"Like you just had sex and stuff" She continued, basically repeating what she said the first time in a different way.
"Yeah, I guess" I shrugged it off.
"You seem to be good friends still" She answered not moving her eyes, brushing the only the leaves in sight off the pathway. I didn't like this conversation with her; and that was saying something.
"What do you mean?" I questioned doubtfully. Scared to look away from her.
"I saw you and her with her friends together as I was coming out of Business with Luke today" She explained, her pace had quicken even as she pulled up her left, black,over-knee sock. But of course she was with Luke. It was always fucking Luke. Friends for fucking life they were.
"Doesn't mean we are friends, Ash" I mumbled under my breath, getting slightly pissed off. She huffed sarcastically, shaking her head.
"Why do you even care, Ashby?" I continue in the same tone. She went silent; she scrunched her nose up and pulled a face which I could only describe as being stupidly cute. I had to tell myself she didn't want me just so I didn't kiss her then and there and was safe to say it was painfully working.
"It doesn't matter" Was what she said, getting her keys out to open the front door.
"It does matter" I told her but she shook her head again and went through the door.
"Tell me" I continued, walking in after her before closing the door behind me.
"I said it doesn't matter" She repeated, Robert was already home and was sitting at the table with textbook in hand, his eyes burning into Ashby like he was possessing her; I have to say I wouldn't be surprised if he was trying.
"Yes it does" I found myself being the one to repeat now.
She wasn't tell me something, I wanted to know and being the stubborn-ass person I was, I was going to find out what.
"Hey Rob" She spoke calmly changing the subject as she walked towards him like I wasn't even here anymore.
Adrenaline course through my body and I grabbed her upper arm.
"I want your full attention for once" I told her close to her flawless face as I pulled her up the stairs, she didn't disobey me which was a good sign even if I did hear Robert protest for her downstairs but I didn't care.
I opened the door to my room, dragging her in before shutting the door again now I let go of her arm.
"What the bloody hell is wrong with you?!" She yelled, rubbing her arm, making me sort of feel bad for not realising how hard I must've been grabbing her, it all happened in a mad rush but I didn't regret doing it because I needed to know and now I found myself almost out of adrenaline.
"I want you tell me why you get defensive about me and Charl" I asked once again to which she just rolled her eyes muttering Charl
in a mockingly way.
"Ashby" I demanded, causing her to click back to reality and looking slightly embarrassed for being so childish.
"I said it was nothing!" She continued yelling. I had never seen her so mad, it reminded me of Robert in a way which was oddly scary.
She slammed her bag on my floor with a sharp bang and tried to calm down.
"I don't believe you, Ashby" I told her, she laughed but it sounded off and she shook her head to the floor madly then ran both her hands threw her hair, her shirt rosed along with her skirt as her shirt was tucked tightly into it and I was nervous to continue watching more and more skin appear of her legs because she had a cracking pair of legs but she stopped and the shirt now bagging around the waist of the skirt. I seriously thought she was about to do a Robert on me.
"I don't care if you don't believe me, I'm still not telling you!" She continued her yelling, distancing herself away from me.
"So there is something to tell?" I shouted back.Man I hated being lied to, I wish she'd just tell me already, it would be so much easier than what was happening now.
"Just tell me Ashby for fuck sake! Stop making this so hard" I continued, she breathed for a moment, steading herself.
"I don't like seeing you with her" She whispered causing me to be stunned for a moment,she really thought that.
"Why?" I asked,trying to hide a huge smile forcing its way into my face so she did care about me.
"I don't know. She just gives me a weird feeling. I mean she could be really nice for all I know so it's a selfish feeling" She explained, I stared at her not sure whether to hug her or kick a wall, that answer was not what I expected or wanted.
"She's not nice, trust me.Its not a selfish feeling" I replied back calmly as I sat down on my bed, it creaked a little by my weight and felt my embarrassment seeping through my veins by it.
"She seems to want you though, badly I mean" She continued, stepping forward, tucking her shirt back into her skirt, showing off the curves in her small frame again.
"Yeah? Well she can't have me" I replied moodily, knocking my shoes across the room in the same grumpy way. I wish she'd just shut up about Charlotte, this is just what she wanted for me and Ashby to do-argue. I mean she either thought we were together or that I liked her, that's what she had picked up on so far. Either way she'd be wrong, Ashby hesitated before take the space next to me, pulling her skirt underneath herself like she did that day I saw in the food hall. Her legs leaned towards mine and she place her hands in her lap.
"Most popular girl and most popular boy. You have to admit it would be or was the ideal couple" She spoke now calm too, she nudge her shoulder with mine as I looked at her, she just smiled gently like all anger had left her body.
"I don't believe so" I told her straight, making her blinked hard, her smile fading and a concentrated expression showed on her face, from this distance I could see the freckles dance gracefully along her cheeks and nose again, I could see every single brown eyelash which curled up where the tips of them brushed against her eyebrows.
"What would your ideal couple be then?" Her gaze moving, I had a sharp feeling she was looking at my lips, if not I found myself looking at hers. Those beautiful, forbidden damn lips. I felt myself freeze with the world still moving on around me.
I leaned in towards her face,my eyes not moving from her lips.
"Maybe you should tell me yours first" I dared bravely, I was so close to her and I was determined not to be slow this time,I had to kiss her now.
"Ashby I want food" A voice spoke from the door. Ashby jumped back, looking back the door to find Robert standing there. I wonder if he had noticed that just then, maybe I almost wanted him to but I felt her smile and get up.
"Okay let's get you something. Nothing big though because Jaynie will be making tea soon" Her voice sung, walking out the door. He watched her leave and could hear the faint noise of her creepers down the stairs.
"Leave my sister alone" Robert growled, staring directly through me before leaving my room.
I huffed it off because I knew if I didn't I would've killed him then run downstairs to kiss Ashby, pushing her up the kitchen ware but I didn't, I just watched him leave going after her. Groaning loudly I fell back onto my bed now not bothered by the massive kink noise of the springs in the mattress. Fuck! Twice this had happened, fucking twice now. Why was every shitting God out to get me when it came to Ashby.
I rubbed my face with my hands before pausing, my fingers covering my nose so my eyes were only on show which now glanced to the place where she had sat, the covers of the bed had moved slightly from her but Ashby didn't push away that time and she wasn't upset either, it probably it didn't help that we were both seriously pissed off with each other, hormonal teenagers a teacher would say.
I groaned again, I felt like I was being played by her and the saddest part was I didn't mind.