Chapter Fifty Seven- Kyle

Kyle POV

We reach the cabin, the same cabin, Jone had said Lara had been at, the same cabin she was probably at. I kick the front door, which had been boarded up.

"Kyle there's a garage door right here." Beverly points out. "Fine time to tell me." I snap, and walk into the cabin, leaving Beverly and Jone standing there. A smell hit my nose, that made me automatically gag. The rest of the group joins me and we begin to search the cabin.

I join by Jone's side. We searched what looked like a dining room, it was a dim lighted dining area, the place was totally empty. The windows were boarded up and the paint was peeling off the walls.  

I walk into the kitchen and gag again. I was greeted by a sink full of dirty dishes with what looked like blood staining the dishes. The sink was filled with swampy colored water. The trash was filled with bags that had flies buzzing around them.

"This is... disgusting..." I groan. Jone comes up beside me, and he opens the cabinets as if he were searching. "Take anything you find." He says. I nod, and we both walk to the hallway. There was a strange door in the middle of the hallway and a flight of stairs leading to what I guess was the second floor.

I begin to go up the steps when I hear something hit the strange door.

I slowly turn around and I hear what sounded like a voice from the strange door.

"Lara?!" I shout, and I try to open the door. The door was locked from the inside, however. "Lara?! Are you in there?" I shout, and I slam my fist against the door.

"Kyle be careful!" I hear a female voice. It was Beverley who was pulling me back, her small hands on my shoulders.

While she is pulling me back, I slam my foot into the door. The door flies open and deadweight collapses against me and I hear Beverly shriek behind me. I kick the walker backward, and it hits the ground, dying more quickly than I thought it was. That was a weak walker, I thought to myself.

"What's going on?" I hear Beverly say, she was standing behind me. I stand and sigh. It wasn't Lara.

Sammy gasped and drops something, it hits the ground and breaks. She runs to Beverley.

"What is it?" I ask, standing. I take a look at the walker. My stomach deepens. The walker looked too familiar. No... the walker had the same brown hair. Its face was gray and peeled but I could tell the similarities.

"It's..." I shake my head, closing my eyes.

"It's Lara.."

•••••

We left the woods.. what was next? Lara was dead.. she was gone, I couldn't get it past my head. Jone seemed lost all of a sudden, he wasn't talking any.. maybe our group was falling apart.

It was all my fault. I sit down at the camp we had made at the gift shop. This would be the last night we'd be here. Miranda and the others would be here soon, with the news about Hunter.

I sat in front of the fire, staring off at the night sky. "Of all people," I whisper. Beverly sits beside me, she had draped her jacket over her shoulders.

"I'm sorry." She says. I wasn't in the mood to talk, but I just nod. "Please.. talk to me... no one else is." Beverley says, her soft eyes staring at the fire with sorrow. I sigh, "About what? The great meal we've been eating the last day?" I say sarcastically. I see hurt flicker across her face.

She shakes her head. "I don't know." She looks at me, but I can't seem to look back at her. "Who were you?" She asks, looking at me with sadness and curiosity.

"I was a person.. not a survivor.. before all this happened," I respond with a head shake. "We all were, silly." She says, a smile appearing.

"I was a cheerleader.. people called me the mean girl. I was the definition I guess you could say." She says, "Everyone forgot about me when this all happened. I ended up with Marvin and Todd."

"What about you?" She asks, her voice cracking. She turns and I see her face. A smile was plastered on her face, but her eyes said differently. She was crying. Tears slipping over her face.

I panic when I see her crying. She wipes a tear with her sleeve from her long sleeve shirt. "I... uh..." I lift a shaky hand and I pat her back. "I was an athlete..." I respond and she leans against me, I was surprised and I jump but I barely move. She tosses the big jacket over my shoulder, it barely covers me but there is a strange warmth.

I was used to girls in high school, before this all happened. But this was different. Before I knew, Beverley was asleep on my shoulder.

I wrap the jacket around her and remove mines to make a small pillow and I lay her back. She had fast asleep. Soon Sammy curled up against her back.

I brush a piece of hair from Beverly's face and I lift my hand away when I heard a footstep.

I feel my face burn when I notice Jone was standing there.

"Shut up," I say, looking away. Of course, he doesn't say anything, he just sits down.

"Can't believe she's gone." He mumbles, opening a can of beans. I don't say anything.

Then I hear a loud yell. I turn my head to see Miranda walking into the door, Luis beside her and Emily coming in last.

Miranda waves the note at us.

"Hunter is alive!! Our next stop is ArringTon!" Miranda shouts, smiling.

"Guys? What's wrong?" She asks when she makes it to us, her arms hanging limply by her sides. My shoulder slumps and looks to Jone for answers.

"Lara is dead."