Chapter Twenty Six

"I knew we should've ditched you!" Joe accused me.

"It's your fault anyway!" Luis yelled at Joe. "Dude! She's the one that tricked me."

"And you were dumb enough to listen!!"

I was lying in the dirt, listening to their endless arguing.

"We don't need her! We can just run while we have the chance... We lost our only brother!! She murdered him! So why don't we just kill her..?"

"No. You can run from all your problems. Count me out." Luis says. 

"You saved her, over your brother! What's up with that man?!" Joe yells.

"It was my job! He's the one that tried to save her, remember what the rule said?" Luis asks.

Joe is silent.

"Fine man!" Joe says, "I'm leaving. The captain isn't pushing me around anymore!" Joe says. Captain? Who is this man?

"Who is that?" Luis says.

"That's.. That's George's van!"

"Sit her up! Quickly." Luis says. Joe snatches me and quickly sits me up against a box they had been carrying around.

A van rumbled on the path towards us. It stopped and the door opened. A short man came out, he looked just as mean as Luis.

"Where is she?" The man asks.

Joe nervously pointed at me. "Get her on the van. Where is Ben?" The man asks.

"She killed him," Joe says.

"Really...?" The man raises an eyebrow at me.

The man pulls a baton from behind his back.

•••••••••

I woke up, again. I had been continually knocked out. This time, with a baton. I groaned as I was walked down a dark hallway. Wherever I was... It was dark. A door opened and I pushed in. A girl was sitting on a neatly made bed wearing a mustard colored uniform. The cell-like door slammed behind me. "Oh my God!!!" Miranda shouted in a loud voice shouted.

"I knew you were alive!!" I say as soon as I noticed it was Miranda. She ran to me and quickly hugged me. I barely noticed her thanks to the uniform.

"What happened to your eye?" She asks. "What's wrong with it?" I ask.

"You have a black eye.."

"Oh. They kinda.. Knocked me out." I say. "Oh my god... I call dibs on killing whoever done this.." She whispers. "I call dibs on killing whoever made you wear that ugly uniform," I say sarcastically.

"And... I need to tell you what really happened..." I say. She nods.

"The uniform may be killing my fashion sense.." She says tiredly, "but at least you have to wear one too." She says pointing to the one folded neatly on my bed. I cringe.

"Where are we?" I ask slowly, looking around the small room. There was a bunk bed in the corner and then the oval-shaped bed in the middle. A window that had stone bars was at the top of the left wall. A small fan was in the corner, a let's not forget the bare ugly metal chair sitting in the middle of the room.

"I don't know.." She whispers. "Could this be... The safe zone?" I ask.

"I don't know.. But I have a feeling we might find out.." Miranda whispers.

"What have you been through?" I ask, when I noticed how healthy she looked, unlike me, with my dirt stained clothes and a black eye.

"I woke up here, a day ago. The last thing I remember was when we were in the radio station and I was knocked out."

"You stayed in this... Room for a whole day?!" I ask. She nods. "This. Is. Not... A safe zone.." I say.

"It couldn't be." She says, her eyes widen as if she remembers something. I heard strange sounds from the window, like a groaning sound. "What is it?" I ask Miranda. "Come here." She says and walks over to the window with bars. She moved the metal chair over, and stood on it, she helped me up there also, and we both peeked in.

"Whoa..." I whisper.

"It's not safe here."