Chapter Fifty- Walker Bait

I felt something rest over my eyes, and then tighten. A blindfold. At this point, I had given up. Nothing seemed to matter, their laughs were just a reminder that I hadn't died yet. Someone had picked me up, and I felt warm air hit my face. I was outside now, I assumed. I hear a low groan, a walker. The groan is cut off by the sound of a knife, the sound of deadweight hitting the ground, and a grunt.  

I had been carried for what seemed like hours. Where were they taking me? I was set on top of what seemed like the inside of a car. I hear a car start up and immediately began to squirm.

My legs were still taped, so were my arms. It was useless. I was useless. I hope Kyle got his medicine. I thought through gritted teeth. It wasn't his fault.. it was no ones.. it was mine. I should've never went alone. now I was gonna die alone.

I hear the car come to a stop and the car door I had been leaning on, opens. I start to fall out of the car, but arms save me.

Hands wrap around me and then I'm set on the ground. The ground was damp and cold and I was about to assume that I was about to be killed. "What's going on?" I whisper. No answer, the sound of birds and wind is the only response. I hear a car engine, and then it fades down what sounded like dirt paths. They had left me. Wherever I was... I wouldn't last for long.

My whole body had tensed as I lied there staring into the darkness of the blindfold. I hear the growl of a walker. "C-crap.," I whisper, I squirm more and it doesn't help any.

The groan got closer, and then soon the shuffle of disorganized patterned feet. I tried to squirm away from the groan, but the walker had already grabbed my taped arms, I could hear the snap of its teeth in my ear. "No!" I blurt. I hear the walker struggling to bite me as I squirm backward. I felt its hot breath, so close to my arm. I waited, waited for the bite. The snap of its teeth only maybe I panic and squirm more.

Suddenly its breathing is stopped and I hear a swift movement through the air. The walker falls on top of me, dead weight crushing the air out of my lungs. Suddenly I hear the sound I running towards me, and I began to squirm under the dead walker body.

The footsteps were in front of me now, and walker body was being lifted off of me. A hand pulls the blindfold off and a pale face and dark eyes meet mine, they had long silky black hair. The girl. Niommi, the girl that sat beside the other pale boy. The two that stared at the table the whole time.

She was holding her bow and arrow and her eyes searched my arms for a bite. She pulls the tape off of my body and helps me up.

She grabs her backpack and finds a bottle of water. She unscrews the cap and places the bottle near my face. I hesitate for a moment and then ask myself if I can trust her. Niommi was waiting patiently, blinking every amount of seconds.

"It's ok, I won't hurt you." She says, her voice was quick and her words clean. I finally drink the water, and the cool liquid trickles down my throat and I nearly choke on my dehydration. She pats my back as I thirstily drink the water.

"We need to go." Her voice has a thick accent, I notice. She was Asian after all.

"I can't walk," I inform her and I start to feel hopeless again. "We can try.." she whispers and begins to help me up, being gentle as she could. I just wanted to get it over it with and try to stand. "You ready?" She asks. I force a weak nod. I couldn't stand, my leg was like a wobbly string. Niommi, she stands and runs off and I nearly panic.

"Hey! W-wait!" I cry out. She had disappeared, like a ghost. I sit there on the damp ground and take a look at my leg. There was a thick bandage over it, and it had been stained red. I was still bleeding. I curse under my breath.

"Hey!! Are you still out there?!" I cry out, but my voice echoed back. I lay back on the damp ground and sigh, staring at the sun in the sky.

I hear a branch snap and I quickly sit up.

Suddenly the girl is back, holding a thick, tall stick. She comes towards me, and places the top of the stick in my hands, she was wearing leather gloves with the letter NJ. "Let's try again." She says and begins to help me stand.

I grit my teeth once I was standing on one leg. "I can't do it," I whisper, struggling to stay balanced.

She doesn't say anything, but then she begins to look around as if nervous. "We have to try to go... if they find you-" I cut her off, "Who are you, people?" I ask, remembering that horrible night of being tied to a chair at a dinner table, surrounded by insane faces.

"I'm not one of them." She tells me, "they took me and my brother... Jim... We are forced to hunt for them... I don't hunt for them... I bring them walker meat in hope that they'll get infected."

"Hunt them? Walker meat? What?" I ask, confused trying to piece together the hints. Niommi eyes have filled the brim with boredom as if she had been rehearsing the lines.

"They're cannibals." She deadpans.

My stomach drops and I vomit, literally. I hadn't eaten anything, so my stomach cramped up even worse than it was already. Once I'm done, I shake my head and sigh, "This world is really trashed." I whisper, staring at the leaves on the forest floors. Niommi stares at the ground for a couple of seconds, and then she is up.

"Let's move." She says, and lets my arm wrap around her shoulder to help me move. She helped me move from the spot I had been laying at. I saw a long path, but she helped me limp past it. We were in the middle of the woods, I didn't notice any of the trees, I couldn't tell if we were near the city.

"Y-you are taking me to the city...?" I ask, lifting my foot over a stick so I wouldn't trip. Niommi nods.

"Then where are you going?" I ask, adjusting my arm over her shoulder so I wasn't falling. "I'm going back." She tells me, staring straight ahead.

"Why? You could come with our group... we don't know where we're going next..." I sigh, already longing to be with my friends.

"You could even bring... is his name, Jim?" I offer. Niommi's facial expression never changed, not even to a thinking face. Instead, she clears her voice.

"We're gonna have to make camp."

"Why?" I ask, looking around the forest. It was almost unbelievable how empty the forest seemed. It was almost creepy.

"It's getting dark... that's when they hunt."