Chapter Twenty Five

The nicest one named Ben was standing in front of me now, while the others gathered firewood. I still hated him.

"I'm sorry." He says, breaking the silence. I don't say anything. "You can ask me anything.. I'm nicer." He says. I still don't respond.

"By the way... They are my brothers." He tells me.

"I don't care," I say coldly. He just forces a kind patient smile.  

"Since you may already know my name... Which is Ben... Can you tell me yours?" He asks. "I won't tell the others."

"No." I snap.

"Ok.." He says, heartbroken. The same way he might have sounded on the radio. Fake emotions. He began to walk to his brothers, who were somewhere in the woods. It made me angrier, more useless.

"Lara." I blurt.

He stops and looks at me. "I like that name."

•••••••••••••

My eyes shot open. It was already dark out here... In the middle of the woods. I lifted my head and felt the dirt caked on my cheek. There was a fire in front of me, which made my face warm. Even if I was warm... I was out in the dark, in the middle of the woods, with three men I hated. I saw two of them fast asleep.

I lifted my head and glanced behind me. Joe, the idiot of the group, was standing in front of the fire, his back to me, taking a pee. I forced my eyes closed, not wanting to watch.

He whistled a tone, and I curled up into a ball and opened my eyes, staring the opposite way, at the dark deep forest.

"I know you're awake." He says. I ignore him. He kicks me in the back, and I angrily turn to him. "Leave me alone!" I shout.

"Down girl, down." He snickers. "I hate you," I whisper.

"Good. More lucky coins for me." He says and grabs my roped arms. "What are you doing?!" I whisper frantically.

He sits me up. "I was told to feed you once you were awake." He mumbles. He grabs a small container that was sitting near the fire. He pulled out a raw hotdog and waved it near my mouth.

My eye twitched. "Eat." He whispers. "Cmon lil doggy.."

"Eat the dang thing." He says again. I look at him angrily. "I don't want it!" I shout. "Stop yelling!" He yells back.

"Fine. I'll eat it." He says and scarfed down the hotdog in one second.

"Mm... Tasty." He says, looking at me.

"Do you need to use the ladies room?" He asks. "I suggest you not ignore me again." He says, trying to seem mean.

"I will. A thousand times over." I say.

What would Jone do? What would we decide?

Then I had an idea. Not a safe one, but it was reasonable... "I need to pee." I lie.

He grabs me up, a smirk on his face. Pervert. I thought silently. No way I was gonna pee. I was gonna attack him.

He took me not too far away from the group. Actually three steps away. "I need more privacy," I say. He shoves me further. "You aren't my type anyway, don't worry I won't try anything." He mumbles, "Hurry up." He said.

"How can I pee, with my hands tied?" I ask.

"Figure out." He says, watching me.

I sigh and just wait impatiently. "Fine." He mumbles. He steps over to me and I heard the click of a pocket knife. After a minute of slicing, the ropes fall. He starts to grab my raw wrists, which were left with a burning feeling of being free from the tightrope.

One thing came to mind:

Move quick. No hesitation. First time attacking someone... Make it forgettable.

I quickly hit him the head, and he groaned. "Ow, what the-"

I snatched the knife from him, and I stabbed him in the arm. "Agh! Luis!!" He shouts, holding his bloody arm.

I kicked him the stomach, and I took off. I heard the alert yelling at me. I held the pocket knife in front of me. Don't trip. Don't trip. Don't trip.

I bumped into someone heavy. Or something. Nope... A walker. I yanked back, my eyes wide. "Wait!" Ben yells.

I run past the walker. Suddenly strong arms wrap around me. Joe. I bit into his arm, and he cried out. I kicked him in the stomach again and he hit the ground, groaning. "Please don't! You won't last a day out there!" Ben coaxed.

"I was already surviving!" I shout back.

"But not alone!" He yells. I ignore him and dart into the darkness. A walker bumped into me again. It was a fast crazed walker.

The walker reached for me and let out a strange scream. It grabbed at me, but I sliced his hand, which was useless.

The walker grabbed me and leaned in to bite my neck. I cried out, helpless. Guess this was the end. I died trying to escape... But no...

The walker is pushed off of me, and Ben wrestled the dead weight backward. I ignore him and kept running.

Another pair of strong arms wrapped around me. It was Luis, the mean one. I tried to bite him but failed.

He shoved a piece of cloth in my mouth and wrapped his hand around my mouth and nose.

I fought against his grasp, but my eyes watched as Ben wrestled the zombie, which was on top of him.

Joe came into view with a gun, but Ben was already being bitten to death by the walker. The nicest guy I met in this scenario. Was being eaten. I felt bad... Guilty.

Joe shot the walker, and he sunk to his knees.

What had I done?

Luis wrapped his hand tighter around me, and I struggled to not pass out. But darkness had already surrounded me.