1 - The Start

I should've acted worried at least. When my mom stopped the car because of the "drunk looking," man that had wandered out into the middle of an empty road, surrounded by trees, six miles to be exact, from the school I attended. My sister was in the car too which made this a bad idea but my mother felt as if something was terribly wrong with the man.

The man stood there, so my mother got out the car, she asked him if he was okay, he wasn't too responsive nor alert which was odd. I thought of how brave my mother was, with her doctor uniform on (ready for another shift at the hospital), her brown serious eyes showing the mother in her.

So my mom told him to get in the car, the front seat that is, so he wouldn't have to look at me and Sammy (my ten-year-old sister). My mom actually took that risk. I knew that was a horrible idea.

I remember the look on his face, the gray cracked skin on his neck, covered by his north face jacket.

His eyes were a cold and cloudy gray, he had a scratch, maybe an animal scratch, on his neck too, he grumbled a little as we drove, non-translatable words.

It got more meek as the car moved slowly. Once we made it to my high school, the man said, "I'll walk... From here."

"You sure?" My mother asks.

"You look like you are hurt." My mom said.

"I'm not... Wait well actually I'll go to the hospital but I'll walk from the hospital instead.." He mumbles.

How confusing.. I thought to myself. I hugged Sammy and told her to be good. I got out the car and popped headphones in, music playing loudly in my ears, and I started a casual day of school....

The first period was math class. I didn't really have many friends in that class, most of them that were already here were early like me, I was always early to class. One guy I know, I had a huge crush on. I had a crush on him since elementary school.

But I knew we weren't ever going to magically end up together.He seemed to want to talk to me as soon as I stepped in. He was waiting at the door, his hands in his pockets, his brown hair looked neatly combed. I told myself to shut up and not say anything weird to him.

His name was Hunter. Hunter Derek. A name I couldn't stop thinking of when he was around, I would imagine all the possible conversations we could have one day if we ever ended up together.

"Hey, Mara-" As soon as he said my name wrong, I quickly corrected him, my voice straining against the cold in my throat.

"Lara.." I shyly correct, my face burning.

"Ag... Sorry." He says brushing his hair to one side and laughing, his face turned a soft shade of red. I nod, and tug my earphones out from my ears, and place my phone underneath my pile of books.

"Yea Hunter?" I ask.

The class hadn't started yet, it was just us and... The silence. I stare at his brown eyes and my face automatically burns, yet again. I guess I got here early, and it's a bad time for my crush to talk to me since there's this awkward silence in the classroom.

"Um... You know how that pandemic virus, right?" He asks, his mint smelling breath and the smell of clean laundry clothes and maple syrup pancakes filled my nose and I nearly melted, but I simply force a nod, focused on this newer topic. The virus.

It was becoming a pandemic virus now, spreading from different contents. It caused the victims to grow really sick, my mother would come home and make sure Sammy and I were clean and medicated so we wouldn't get sick so easily.