Chapter Thirty Eight- Goodbye

The boy is done shouting, he isn't crying or moving, he is dead.

Emily fished the bullet out with the knife, and she placed it in her hands, examining it. Kyle turned and vomits on the floor. She lifts the kid's shirt up, and her eyes light up and seem to dance, and the chances of him surviving had actually been hopeless, he had at least 10 bullet wounds on his stomach, plus the zombie bite. He was going to die anyway no matter how much we tried to assure him.

Miranda stares blankly at the dead boy. Hunter stands and stumbles away, digging his hands into his hair, his eyes clenched shut, and his teeth gritted. Emily's hands were shaking so I gently grabbed her hands, which were covered in the boy's blood.

"I killed him." She whispers, shocked. I didn't know sign language, so I just stared at the kid lying on the floor. "I was putting him out of his misery.. without him knowing... like how they put Henry out of his misery..." Emily babbles on.

"Henry?" I ask, forgetting she can't hear me. Was that the boy that was brought in the stretcher with her? Had been bitten? Had they put him out in front of her? The twelve year old Emily had shown us how insane she might've been. She just killed someone, in my opinion. All I could was try to keep her calm, so I pulled her into a hug. She hugged me back, and I felt wet tears hit my shoulder.

Suddenly we hear groans and turn to see walkers stumbling in. I look towards the door, Emily quickly leans up, her hands still shaking and her eyes looking at the floor. Kyle is up now, and he and Jone slam the door close but then at least three walkers were stumbling in. Hunter slammed himself into the door also.

All three of them were struggling to push the door shut. When they shut the door, the zombie's arm had snapped in the door. They slammed the door shut, all three of them panting.

"They are... heavy.." Kyle tells us, "We need to go, now!" Jone tells us, "The gates must've gotten open, let's go!" Jone shouts, his voice loud.

Hunter grabs me and Emily and we burst back through the double doors and outside. The fog had gone now, and it chaotic.

Gunshots rang out and walkers, walkers were everywhere.

People were shooting the walkers, people were cowering in tents, people were being eaten, people were running.

"Hunter! Where do we go?!" I ask as walkers began to turn their attention to us. My aim had been jacked up for a while but I managed to shoot three walkers and missed a shot on 4.

"Beverly and the others are in the building!!" Kyle says, pointing to the other building, the building me and Miranda reunited.

Jone was confused about all the chaos. "We can't go for them!!" He shouts. "We can at least try!" Kyle says angrily, "I'm not leaving them!"

"My sister is in there!!" I shout.

Jone's face softens, and he sighs.

"Fine!!" Jone says and grabs Miranda and we're heading towards the main building, through gunshots and walkers.

Kyle and Hunter shot as many walkers as they could.

••••••••••••

We burst through the main building doors, and we're running down the white halls to the cafeteria once Kyle tells us they were switched to cafeteria duty.

We had no idea where Olivia, Ricko, and Lucy were. We hadn't seen any sign of them.

The cafeteria was filled with panicking people. We all paused and scanned the room of people. They needed to leave while they could, soon, walkers would be making their way in, and maybe even the gunners trying to kill us.

Even children and babies were in the room, crying. Adults and elders were panicking, some already grabbing food.

Then Beverly and Sammy were coming towards us. "We have to go," Beverley says, and Sammy nods, tears welling in her eyes.

"We can't just... leave these.. people!!" Hunter says, his voice raspy.

He looks at me, and then Emily. He held his gun in his hand, and then looked at me with a face I couldn't read, but I felt like I knew what the look was.

"I'm not going." He whispered and hugged me. It was the most crushing hug I ever had, he kissed me also, I was frozen just because of the peck on the lips he gave me. "I'm sorry." He whispered. "H-Hunter!!" I say, grabbing his arm.

"Why?" I ask him.

He stares at me, and holdings my hand, "I'm going to try to save these people... and then... I'm going to search for you... and I won't give up, I promise." He says, his eyes staring directly into mines.

"Hunter I'm not leaving you!!" I say, staring at him.

"And you're not staying either.," he tells me.

It was too much to take in. I wrapped my arms around him again, and it killed me to pull away and know he was staying behind in all the chaos. Hunter flashed me an assuring smile, his crooked smile. I tried my best to smile back, it was the most forced smile I had ever done.

Then I noticed tears were welling in my eyes. Hunter turned and hugged Emily, "Hunter." She said, "what's going on?" She asks with confused eyes, her eyes were huge.

He did sign language, and Emily shook her head harshly, "no, no, no... Hunter, I just found you... don't make me leave!!" She says, and Hunter cups her ears, and she looks at him with tears rolling down her cheeks.

He did sign language again and she shook her head again, and Hunter hugged her. I didn't know what he was telling her, but I could tell it was hurting Emily.

"We have to go..." Jone says.

Hunter looks at Jone and nods, Jone nods too. How long had Hunter been planning to stay behind?

We started to leave, I didn't think I could move, until Kyle grabbed my hand, and I turned away from Hunter. The people were getting louder. There were so many scared people in the cafeteria.

"Everyone's going to be fine!!" I hear him tell the people.

I force myself to look back one more time, and he smiles at me. I smile back.

Emily was crying now, and Jone was holding her hand as she kept wiping tears away.

We were gone now, out of the cafeteria, where Hunter stood, ordering people to stay calm.

I was crying now, wiping tears away. I was trying to stay calm for Sammy and Emily because now Sammy was looking at me with sad eyes.

He was really gone.