One

Everest's POV

I woke up to my alarm bell blaring, it was 5am, I quickly got up and rushed to get ready. Most people are asleep until at least 7 in the morning, but not me, I want to get out of my house as soon as possible.

I quickly took a shower, I washed my hair the night before so I didn't need to use the blowdryer this morning so he wouldn't wake up.

I got changed into a black hoodie and jeans with a plain white t-shirt on underneath. I put my hair into a messy bun and put my black frame glasses on. I got my bag and left for school.

I never really try to look nice because I don't really want to be noticed, on top of that I want to leave as quickly as possible in the mornings and hair and makeup takes a while.

I walked to school and by this time it was 7:05, I made my way up to the library as I always do and opened up a few books to do some revision.

Revision takes my mind away from the outside world, I'm able to put myself into a bubble and focus on words on a page and forget about other things.

"You might want to start having breakfast." My brothers voice said from behind me, he placed an apple in front of me and sat down.

"Thanks Alaki," I muttered,

"Everest, you know I can drive you to school in the morning, you don't need to be scared, I'm here for you." He said,

"I know. I just don't want to see him." I said,

"He's usually asleep on the sofa anyway, he can barely open his eyes after all those drinks." My brother spat, his jaw clenched and I could tell he was angry.

I hate talking about my dad, in fact, I avoid it at every cost. It's really just Alaki and I now. I try to stay as far from my dad as possible, I don't think I've spoken to him in the last 4 years. I get home and lock my bedroom door and leave early the next morning, even if I see him, I don't remember the last time I saw him sober.

The bell rang and we got up to go to our classes. The first class being registration. I went in and walked to an empty desk, I pulled out my phone and just distracted myself. Texting a friend of mine who I rarely see because she doesn't go to our school.

Our form tutor walked in and settled down. She started taking our register, since my last name is 'Dimond' I'm towards the start of the register.

"Ever-" my form tutor started my name when a group of three boys walked in, all laughing and pushing each other, I know them, their Calum, Michael and.... Luke Hemmings.

"Boys, settle down and go take a seat, I'm in the middle of the register." Our teacher scolded.

"Sorry miss." Luke laughed before they all sat down.

"Everest," she called out again,

"Yes miss." I said, just loud enough for her to hear.

She finished off the register and packed up her things, "everyone have a good day, I'll see you this afternoon." She said,

Everyone packed up and left, my first class is English, I made my way to the class and walked in, we had a seating plan and I sat next to a girl named Emily.

Emily was really nice, she got along with everyone, she was so pretty that every boy turns to look at her when she walks in the room. Yet she's still so kind, she doesn't ever let it boost her ego, I wish I was as pretty as her.

Everyone sat down and our teacher are started speaking.

"Good morning everyone, you won't be in here long, I'm sending you off in pairs because we have a class project." He said, "I've already picked the pairs before anyone asks, so no you don't get to pick. The project is to analyse Macbeth-the play we've been studying- and to pick two characters of your choice and analyse their relationship or the similarities and diffrences between them."

Oh great, pairs, I'm actually terrified at the thought of who he's going to pair me up with.

"Everest and Luke," he called out.

My heart dropped when he said our names... he's the school bad boy who girls chase after, I'm literally a nobody with a popular older brother.

"Off you go guys, have fun." Our teacher said before letting us all go and work on our projects.

Luke wasn't even in the room, our teacher called me over,

"Everest, Luke has a meeting with the principal this morning, if you want to go and start working on the project I'll send him your way when he gets here, where are you going?" He asked,

"I was going to the library." I said,

"That's fine, I'll send him over there." He smiled.

I smiled and exited the classroom, I walked upstairs to the library and sat down at an empty desk, starting out a mind map for the project, I think I'll be doing this alone anyway since he probably won't turn up.

About 10 minutes later I was proven wrong, Luke set his bag down on the table next to me.

"Hey, Mr Erickson said we have a project and that we're partners?" He said sitting down.

"Y-yeah, it's on Shakespeare." I said, then I explained what we had to do.

"This sounds so long." He complained. "So who's house are we doing this at?"

"Um-" I wasn't sure how to ask if we could do it in school, I don't want him running into my dad but I also don't want to run into my dad if I'm coming back from his house.

"Everest," I heard my brothers voice call and I looked up, he was stood at our desk.

I looked up at him so he proceeded to speak.

"Ashton's coming over tonight, what time do you finish today?" He asked,

"3:20," I said, "actually, me and Luke have a project and were wondering who's house we should do it at,"

Alaki was silent for a minute, "Luke you drive right?"

"Yeah," he said,

"You could come over to ours, just leave before 6 if that's okay? Also can you do me a favour and drive Ash home?" Alaki asked,

Luke and Ashton were friends, not best friends but they knew each other well.

"Yeah that's fine, Everest do you want a lift home?" Luke asked,

"I finish late today so that's probably a good idea," Alaki said,

"Sure." I said nervously,

My brother said bye to us and got back to whatever he was doing,

"I forget he's your brother." Luke smiled,

I expect him to refuse to do this project with me, or just ditch me to do the work, but I really misjudged him, instead he's doing his part and even being nice to me.