Imam Hussain's Important Speech in the Morning of Ashura

Addressing his companions in the morning of his martyrdom day, Imam Hussain Ibin Ali delivered a speech in which he said,

"You, servants of Allah! Be afraid of Allah and keep away from the world."

As one can infer from the rest of this speech and from the verses of the Quran, Imam Hussain (as) does not mean to turn away from the blessings of the world.

He meant keeping away from the worldly attachments, not to forget about the aim for which we were born, trying to achieve that goal and not to forget about the life after.

"If the world was supposed to keep some people in it forever, those people would have been the Prophets (as) who were the most deserving ones among us," He continued.

Imam Ali (as) said, "One should have Prophet Muhammad as his role-model.

Follow him in your lives, as he is the best role model for those who wish to follow his path and he brings comfort for anyone who seeks comfort in him.

The best Servants of Allah are those who follow Prophet (saw).

He was very content. He was the thinnest of all and he was the hungriest among all the people.

The world was offered to him, but he refused to accept it."

This is the same thing that Imam Hussain (as) said in his speech.

They both talked about the temporariness of the world and that if someone were supposed to live in the world forever, Allah would have chosen the best of his servants for this.

While the lives of the Prophets (as) prove that they had a very normal life, and they were even poor. 

Imam Hussain (as) continued his speech, "Allah has created the world to test us and it is nothing but temporary.

Everything new becomes old in the world, everything gets destroyed and every happiness turns into sadness and sorrow.

The world is just to reach and to leave." This world was created so that people are tested here and are given the chance to move towards perfection.

Imam Baqir (as) said, "The hereafter is a place to stay, but this world is just a place to pass by it."

Imam Ali (as) says, "You people! This world is just to pass by and the hereafter is our eternal residence.

Try to gain in this world what you could use in the hereafter."

But what is that we should try to gain in this world that we could use in the hereafter?

Imam Hussain (as) referred to the Quran in his speech and said, "But the best of provisions is right conduct."