Prostration (Sujud/Sajdah)

✦⋆· Prophet Muhammad (saw) said, "If you want Allah to raise you [on the Day of Resurrection] with me, then prolong your prostration to Allah the One, the all-Conqueror."

A person came to Prophet (saw) and complained about his enormous number of sins and his lack of good deeds. Prophet (saw) told him to prolong his prostration to Allah because just like wind that blows away the leaves on a tress, prostration shakes off the sins.

In another time, Prophet (saw) also said, "Your backs have become heavy with sins, prolong your prostration to Allah in order to make the heavy weight lighter.

✦⋆· Imam Ali (as) said, "Nothing can bring about proximity to Allah, Glory be to Him, except an abundance of prostration (sujud) and bowing (ruku'a)."

● "I hate it for a man to have a smooth forehead not having any trace of prostration on it."

● "Prolong your prostration, for there is no act more agonizing for Shaytan than to see man in the state of prostration, for he himself was once commanded to prostrate but refused to do so."

✦⋆· Imam Baqir (as) said, "My father (as) used to have protruding marks from prostration on his forehead, which he used to cut twice a year, and every time he would do so, he would scrape off five calluses, and came to be nicknamed 'the one with calluses."

✦⋆· Imam Sadiq (as) said, "Prostration is the highest degree of worship that man can perform."

● Imam Sadiq (as) was once asked by Sa'aid b. Yasar whether he should supplicate in the state of prostration or in the state of bowing, to which he replied, "Supplicate while prostrating for verily the nearest the servant can ever be to Allah is in the state of prostration, so supplicate Allah for your worldly needs as well as for your life in the Hereafter."

● "A group of people once came to the Prophet (saw) saying, 'O Prophet of Allah, ask your Lord to secure us a place in Paradise', to which he replied, 'As long as you assist me with lengthy prostrations."

● Imam Sadiq (as) narrated, "When Imam Zayn al-Abidin] (as) used to go down in prostration, he would not raise his head up again until he was dripping with sweat."