He started smiling “Mr Peterson...please don’t call me that you make me sound like my dad. We’re out of school hours just call me Jake.”

“Ookk... Jake... Urm there’s one more platter over there” I said nodding my head in the direction of the platter.

“Ok” he answered whilst turning around smiling.

I started to make my way to the door leading into the dining room when I saw someone’s hand come from around the back of me to hold the door open.

“Thank you” I muttered.

“You’re welcome”

As I walked into the dining room I heard my mum laughing at something Mr Peterson said to her. As I placed the platter of food on top of the crème runner that was placed across the middle of the table.  I sat down on one of the chairs and took hold of the silver spoon at the side of the bowl of soup and that’s when I realized that Mr... Jake was going to be sat opposite me. God why am I being so affected by him I mean I’ve never had any interest in any guys I’m too focused on my grades to pay any attention to guys. But him I... I mean he’s not even that nice looking... ok who am I kidding of course he is.

Hayden don’t think of him as being attractive think of him as your teacher you know... because he is and hopefully you might be able to get through the rest of the dinner without embarrassing yourself. Hopefully. I tried to reassure myself.

As I looked up I saw everyone looking at me. Oh no what have I done. Do I have soup round my mouth or something? “Yes?” I said to everyone looking at me.

Emily giggled “In your own world, Hayden”

“Urm... no just thinking” I said trying to laugh it off a little bit.

“I was going to say being in your own world’s probably better than being here most of the time” she said smiling at me. I laughed and tried to shrug the matter off. “You know your mum told me you was pretty but she didn’t tell me how beautiful you truly are”

I laughed a little “whoa... Urm thank you” I said whilst blushing.

“Your cheeks have gone red” I heard a little voice whisper at the side of me. I looked to my right and saw Brooke scooping up another spoonful of soup.

“Thank you for telling me” I whispered back smiling at her.

“You’re welcome” she giggled as she carried on eating.

“Sweetie, Emily was wondering what A-levels you want to take” my mum said smiling at me warmly, sat at the head of the table.

I looked at Emily who was sat at the side of Jake. “Urm... I was thinking of taking Maths, Business, Law possibly and the last one I’m not quite sure yet. I was thinking of doing English Literature or Chemistry but I’m not sure.”

As Emily opened her mouth to speak someone interrupted. “Why them courses?” a deep voice said opposite me.

I turned to look at Jake with his eyebrows scrunched together as if he was actually interested in what I have to say. “Well I enjoy Maths so I’m interested in studying it further. I have always been interested in studying Law and Business seeing as the school doesn’t offer it at GCSE level. And I enjoy Chemistry” I replied.

“Well if you enjoy Chemistry shouldn’t you study that then... you know something you’ll like instead of debating whether to take that subject or not” he said as he shrugged his shoulders.

“Ye but... what career could I possibly have by studying Chemistry”

“There’s plenty jobs out there to do with Chemistry. First one becoming a Chemistry teacher”