62. And It Begins..

"We have to take her to the hospital." Aria motioned towards Claire, who was tucked in Ander's arms. Dora agreed to look out of the large windows. The sky was getting darker.

Rick chimed in, "And we need to deal with you." Ander glared at Rick while trying to make Claire stand. "What?" Rick glared back, "You trust her?"

"Not now," was Ander reply.

Claire inspected their faces. Ander and Rick debated with their eyes, while Aria looked down, guilty. "Wait, what's going on?"

Rick broke his stare while Ander sighed. Claire waited for the explanation.

"It's not our story to tell," Ander said finally, his arms still supporting Claire as if she'd just slip through like sand. Claire turned her attention to Aria, motioning her to spill.

Aria humped her shoulder, defeating. "I'm a witch, Claire. I'm as old as Ander Booth." Claire snorted. "I'm not joking. I'm Gabriela's daughter, Penelope."

No one said a word. A dark silence fell around them. "I don't believe it."

"You have to." Aria didn't meet Claire's eyes.

"Does it mean, you helped-"

"No!" Aria looked into Claire's eyes, begging her to trust her, "I would never do that. Not because she's never been a good mother, but you're my friend. I would never betray you."

Claire walked out of Ander's hold. She wobbled a little but whatever Theodora did helped her heal. Ander wasn't sure.

"How can I trust you? Why didn't you tell me before?"

"You're one of those people who I truly consider as my family, Claire. I've been alone for decades. I'm a century old. But what I am is dangerous. And I didn't want to involve you into it. I too wanted a normal life. Far from my dark truth. But fate is a funny thing. You ended up here. In this house, where death opens the door to welcome you." Looking towards Ander, she said, "No offense."

"None was taken." Ander grunted. Claire had a smile on her lips. He saw that. Although she had no reason to trust Aria, she did. And he would do the same.

"So why are you in Havendell?" Claire inquired, trying to clear her doubts.

"My mother gave me away as soon as I was born. I don't remember her, just heard stories about her. When you came to Rivera again, I had no idea you were somehow involved with her. I didn't know you lived in the cursed house which was famous in our coven. I'd heard about Ander Booth a little. I thought it was his ghost hunting you because this is an old town. Things happen.

"After your almost-death, my mother came to me. I didn't know her ghost haunted as well. She asked me to help her. She wanted to unite with me, make things right and all that stuff. I had learned by then you two were unknowingly involved. I denied, of course. I jinxed my temporary parents' memory and ran here to keep a close eye on you as my mother warned there were many to help her. That's all!"

Claire nodded, taking it all in. There were abundant questions bubbling inside her but now wasn't the time.

"You trust her, Claire?" Rick asked.

"I do."

Dora, who was silent for all this time, stood up. "I'm afraid we'd have to find another time or place to discuss matters. This place, or rather Claire, is not safe."

Everyone agreed. Ander titled his head. Glancing towards her, he asked, "But Dora, what are we going to do about Gabriela?"

"What should have been done a long time ago. Exorcism. That's our only option. As her soul is the only one lurking here and she's not attached to anyone, it'll be safe."

"My uncle is on his way here," Rick said. And as if one a cue, Father Sebastian entered through the front door.

"Great!" Rick clapped, "Ander, take Claire to a hospital. Do whatever needs to be done. We'll deal with the bitch."

Ander tried to protest. "Andy, he's right. We have to get Claire out of here. Aria- Penelope, go with them. We'll deal with this bitch."

Sebastian nodded in agreement as he came forward and started unpacking his bag after wearing the metal cross around his neck. "Rick gave me the details. The wicked soul is trapped here. We have to get them out of here first."

"Are you going to be alright?" Ander asked Dora, stepping forward to take Claire's hand in his.

"Don't worry about me, boy. I wanted to settle things with her for so long. I'm all up for the game." Although Dora was weak and crinkled, her eyes sparked with enthusiasm. She endured a lot from Gabriela's greediness. Suffered for a long time. And lost many dear ones. Dora was determined to set things straight. For her brother and his love.

"I'll be waiting." Ander beamed now, looking at his younger sister. If anything, he trusted Dora. She knows what she's doing.

Claire smiled at Ander. His face appeared older somehow. But handsome than his face that appeared before his prey to trap them. That wasn't real Ander. The guy who was tightly holding his hand, hope sparkled in his eyes, heart beating inside his warm body, different emotions bubbling beneath his skin- that was the real him.

Aria took silent steps after the two of them who were happy in each other's company, clearly in love. She was happy for them.

Dora and Sebastian discussed the matters in the background. Dora explaining the witchcraft rituals and potions she had learned as they prepared for the final battle. Ander stood before the door, a wave of relief washing over him as he turned the knob.

It was jammed.

He frowned, twisting the knob under his hand, rattling it a few times. Locked from outside. He looked at Dora who stopped talking. Fear erupted in both pairs of eyes. Aria, Rick, and Claire stood confused.

Ander rushed to the windows - locked. The garage door, the back door, every possible way out. All locked. Trapped. He grabbed his shiny phone out of his pocket. He couldn't dial a number or message anyone. He shouted towards his house, hearing his own echo back.

As he ascended back to the living room, all eyes expectantly gazing him, he realized one thing - it's going to be a long night and they'll be lucky if they all survived.