3. Cold War

I woke up to the sight of my mom leaning against the door, a gentle smile gracing her face.

Jumping out of bed, I rushed over to her with a wide grin and pulled her into a hug. "I missed you!" I said, embracing her delicate frame.

"How have you been?" she asked, examining my face.

"Just fine!"

She glanced around the room and approached the closed window. "Jake said you went down to the lake. Do you like it here?"

"Of course," I fibbed, "It's a cool place. Even better than Rivera."

Truthfully, I didn't have the heart to tell her the real story. There was nothing about this place that made me want to stay. It was just the beginning of summer, and I already longed for my friends, especially Aria, my dad, and my old school.

Thinking about my dad was a touchy subject. I hadn't called him since the day we left the house, and he hadn't tried to contact me either.

But sharing that with Mom would only make her sad, and that was the last thing I wanted.

So, I put on a brave face and smiled. "Thanks for the room. I'll unpack my boxes and organize my shelf. And then maybe take a stroll, explore the area, and try to make some friends, I guess."

She grinned back, her eyes squinting slightly. "Sure, do whatever you want. But first, clean up and come downstairs. Breakfast is ready. I'm heading out to buy some groceries." She looked tired and aged as if the divorce and her cheating husband had taken a toll on her health.

"Okay!" I replied as she walked away. Opening my bags, I got ready for a long, hot shower.

Last night, or rather, the whole day, had been quite... eventful.

New places always messed up my sleep, and last night was no exception. I struggled to fall asleep, and my heart raced like crazy until my alarm went off.

Despite the new houses around, this place had an eerie vibe. My room didn't feel as isolated as it should, and I had a constant sensation of being watched.

The old woods in the backyard and the calm lake only added to the unsettling atmosphere. Except for that weird stranger, I hadn't seen anyone around. It felt like I was on a deserted island. Maybe all of that contributed to my state of mind.

All I needed was a relaxing soak in the bathtub.

After drying my hair and changing into a fresh, crisp top and a pair of shorts, I was ready to kick off my summer.

I was supposed to have a "new start," as my mom forcefully threw that phrase around every time I argued about moving across the state.

As I descended the stairs, humming a tune, I found Jake sitting at the dining table, engrossed in the newspaper, a habit reminiscent of my dad.

"Morning!" I greeted cheerfully.

He looked up with a lifeless stare and returned to the mundane news. It seemed I wasn't the only one who hadn't slept well.

Sipping on my tea, I glanced around the kitchen and out the window behind Jake. I had to get used to this new view.

As I buttered the toast, the main door suddenly slammed open, making me jump.

Jake entered, carrying bags of groceries, followed by Mom.

Wait, what was he doing there? I shot a quick look across the table where Jake had been sitting just a couple of minutes ago. Now, he was walking in through the door. How was that possible? What was happening?