50. The Bond

Ander knew two things.

Firstly, Rick was up to something and didn't want Ander's nose in his business. Secondly, he has to poke his nose in his business. Because it concerned Claire.

The way Rick threatened Ander by affirming he knows about Ander's past, stated how deep he was in this situation. But without any proof, Ander was helpless. It's not like he could just 'poof' Rick.

He went towards Claire's room when Jake stepped out and stood before him. "She's alright. Thank you for bringing her here."

Ander nodded and craned his neck to look inside. "And you are? I think we've met before."

Ander met Jake's gaze and stared him confusingly.

"You helped Claire before," Jake said with a hand on Ander's shoulder. "When she tripped on the stairs."

Ander's mind flashed the images of Claire lying bruised near the front door, begging for help. "Yeah, right."

"Or did she really.." Jake looked somewhere behind Ander, deep in thoughts. Did he know what had happened in this house? Was he put two and two together right now? Ander didn't want to know.

"Can I go inside? I want to meet her." Ander asked him impatiently, as Jake was blocking the way.

"Yeah.." Jake said, focusing back on Ander, "Well, why don't you come back later. It's late and she needs rest. Abbey will take care of her. She's my father's caretaker." Ander narrowed his eyes. Mr. Hunter's caretaker? Mr. Hunter was here too? Of course! Where would he go?

Wishing him goodnight, Ander stomped out of the house into his.

Mrs. Monroe greeted him at the door, "Will, honey. I was waiting for you. Dinner is ready."

Ander clenched his teeth and climbed upstairs, shouting "I don't want to eat!" Ander was done for the day. He just wanted to plop on his bed and call off -

"Can I talk to you?" a little voice stopped him from entering his room. "It's not urgent or anything.. I.. just.." Kasie stood at her door, her eyes on the floor.

He would've jolted the door behind him but he said, trying to sound calm, "Sure. You wanna come in?" Flicking on the light, he sat near Will's untouched desk while Kasie gently lowered at the foot of his bed.

"So?" Ander asked while shaking his feet. This was the first time Kasie approached him and he didn't want to blow this away.

Kasie looked like a replica of young Theodora with her honey colored hairs and bright big eyes. Kasie's nervous gaze roaming around the room reminded Ander of his younger sister. She'd sit the exact same way, clenching and unclenching her fists when she'd done something wrong to piss off their mother.

His mother... His family and friends. A wave of nostalgia rolled over him. Rubbing his heel of palm over his eyes, he groaned.

Not the right time to recall a century worth of drama!

"I just wanted to tell you that some guy came few days ago." she hurriedly explained in a low tone. "He came to mom and tried to talk with her. He asked about Dora Granny and about Will."

Ander jerked his head towards her, his brows raised in surprise. "His name was Rick. He asked.. he asked about the attack.. he asked about what had happened to Claire."

He didn't know why was she telling this to him. So, he nodded. "Um... Okay?"

"He was very suspicious. He.. asked me too. But I.. I didn't say anything about you." Ander's eyes widened. "That day, Claire was attacked and.." she trailed off, too scared to speak out.