46. Change of Plans

When the most awkward dinner in the history of dinners ended, Ander and his sister head back to their house.

Ander had a hard time sitting at the table and trying to act normal. Dora chatted very casually as if she was enjoying. But her words from before made Ander uneasy. He couldn't forget.

Vincent stared Ander the whole time, again. His eyes didn't seem to waver from his face. Rachel kept him calling Will. And Kasie- she mirrored Ander's uneasiness. A wave of recognition had appeared on her face when she joined them at the table. And that wasn't a good thing, Ander thought.

Kasie might have seen Ander with Emily before. Or worse, she might recognize him from the day Claire almost died.

"You used your manipulation spell on Vincent," Ander stated when they reached their home. It wasn't a question.

Dora sat on her brown sofa chair and sighed. "I just helped him make a decision. I didn't hypnotize him completely."

It's been a week since he was alive and he was already fed up. "You promised sis! You promised you won't do it!" Ander shouted, "Haven't you suffered enough for your sins?"

Dora knew Ander. He was a stubborn boy and won't give up until he gets his answers.

"I did it for Claire."

Ander stopped stomping around and glared at her for further details.

"I wouldn't break my promise if it weren't for you both. You need to be there, Ander. What I saw terrified me. I wasn't originally planning to ask Vincent to take you in. I was going to tell him to look after you. I changed that after my vision."

Ander groaned and asked, "What exactly did you see? How can Claire be in danger, again-

"It's Gabriela. She wants you back."

Ander dropped on the couch near Theodora, his hands covering his face. He didn't want to hear his ex-fiancee's name, again - the one who cursed him to suffer for eternity. He loved her once and no matter what she did, he'd forgiven her a long time ago.

"There's someone who's helping her. I couldn't see who." Dora continued, "And she's going to use the curse she hexed on you."

"The curse is broken-

"No. She was a witch, Andy. There are so many holes in any spells and curses that can be molded for the caster's advantage. She's going to turn her failure into success. She's going to use your link to come back to life."

"My link?" Ander never understood witchcraft nor that he ever intended to until now.

"The link between you and Claire."

Ander frowned. He had no idea what his sister was explaining.

"The curse is broken but the link between you and Claire would be stronger than before. You were attached to her soul."

"I don't care about anything but Claire. I don't want Gabriela anywhere near her. Just tell me how to keep Gabriela away. And why is she even around? Shouldn't she be moving on?"

"She didn't die due to the curse, Andy. She died before. Her death was her own choice so the curse never affected her. But now that the curse has broken and you're alive, she wants to come back to life too. And for that, she'll reverse the curse. She'll try to consume Claire's soul to acquire her body."

"What?!" Ander stood up. "I'd never let her do that."

"I know and that's why you have to be near Claire. You have to protect her."

Ander tried to calm his breathing but it was useless. His heartbeats won't calm down until he knows Claire is safe.

"But why are you even concerned about Claire anyway?" Ander asked.

"I like her. She's good. And you love her. I can't just let her die. You need her-"

"Dora!" Ander warned her not to complete what she was saying.

Both of them were in deep thoughts when Ander came up with an idea.

"Of course! We could always perform an exorcism. She's a spirit after all."

Dora shook her head, "No. There was almost no risk to Claire during an exorcism when you were attached to her soul because you were willing to let it go. But while Gabriela's trying to conjure her soul? I'm sure she'd take Claire's soul with her than let the two of you be together."

"We aren't together or ever will be! I cannot be with Claire even though -"

"I know. But you can save her. And that's why you have to stay with her and learn what Gabriela is trying to do."

"Of course! I'd do anything. Even if it means I have to go back there again."

A glimpse of joy spread on Dora's lips as she heard Ander agree to her plan. "And I'll go to Old Haven. The real Havendell - witch town."

"And why is that?"

"To learn what that bitch is trying to do!"

* * *

[Claire's POV]

I almost got a heart attack in the hospital last week when I woke up from that freaking nightmare. My amulet was lost right after that possessive ex-fiancee of Ander's barged into my newly found peaceful sleep. Just imagine my relief when Rick found it lying somewhere in that room, under the bed.

Rick's been a good companion during my short hospital stay. Jake was home. He'd ran off to Rivera after he came to his senses. Dad was getting better. Dad agreed to my wish to stay here in Havendell. Life was good.

You'd think I'm crazy to stay here, which I am, but I just couldn't think of leaving this town. Jake, too, agreed with me. Although he is going to university this fall.

"Oy girl! Aren't you forgetting something?" my client screamed in my ear, "You were supposed to guide me while touring the markets of Havendell. Not get lost in your own Wonderland!"

I laughed. She always makes me laugh. She's my gauge to sanity, although she's insane herself.

"After you," I motioned her into 'Sands and Witches'.

It was Aria's birthday and she asked me for a treat in the 'awesomely named restaurant' (in her words).

However, I never got to tell her that Ander was Will himself. I just said Will was dead and Ander almost took my life. Talking about it was heartbreaking.

Just thinking about Will, he was Ander all along? That thought still wakes me up screaming for help. And yet, I couldn't help but fall even more for him.

His behavior told a whole different story though when I saw him just a few days ago. He turned away like he didn't see me.

"Claire," Aria poked my ribs with her elbow and whispered, "Someone's staring you."

My eyes glanced in the direction she was looking when my eyes found a bright pair of light brown eyes staring me with so much... anger?

What was Ander doing here?