Chapter 18 - Escaping

I sat near Ander's gravestone. The aroma was very hypnotic, making me lost in it. I never want to leave this place.

I heard someone's scream- a girl's scream which came from the house. I stood up and turned around. I saw someone in the dark kitchen. A man -who's face I couldn't see- came out holding a girl over his shoulder. I was shocked to see the sight. The girl was screaming and crying. The man ignored her as if he just didn't care. He took her to the other side of the backyard. I followed them when I saw the girl. The girl was.. me.

Or someone who looked like me. Exactly like me. My clone looked into my eyes with a terrifying fear in her eyes and screamed, "Go away!"

The man who was carrying my clone dropped her in a deep pit and rushed back inside the house. I ran towards her and saw she was in a wooden box. A coffin. Two men shut the lid while my clone kept screaming. The two men stared to bury her coffin in the soil.

Another man came and put a gravestone on the grave and began writing on it with a sharp object. I was unsure of what was happening. Who was the girl? And that tall guy? And then, all of them just disappeared. I was alone in the yard. The girl had stopped screaming. There was an eerie silence, pure silence around me.

I bent down to look over the gravestone which had "R.I.P Claire Hunter (b. 1998 - d.2015)" inscription on it. I put my hands on my mouth, stopping me from screaming. I took a step back and stared my gravestone. I was staggered.

"Claire, are okay?" my dad's voice echoed from the house.

A pair of bright lights hit my eyes. I returned back to my senses. I was sitting on the passenger seat of my dad's car while dad was driving. I looked at him and nodded a few times. I was in my dad's car. How did I reach here?

I'm sure I was not dreaming but I don't remember how I escaped that house. Or did I had a daydream? Most of the times I didn't know which was my dreaming state and which was my awaken state. This all felt like a nightmare. A nightmare which would never let me escape to my consciousness. I was terrified.

I looked at dad who was humming quietly while driving through the dark and almost lonely road. I fished out my phone from my pocket and called Jake. I have to know what happened after I came out of my house.

"Claire?"

"Jake, hey I need to ask you.."

"Yes..."

"What.. What were you doing in the house next door?"

"What house?" I looked at dad who was giving me confusing looks. "You mean, the Monroe's?"

"No.. the house on the other side. The abandoned house."

"Claire, I don't know what you're talking about."

"The house.."

"There's no house there, Claire. It's just a barren place with no construction."

"But.."

"And when did you go there? Why are you asking me now?" Jake was clearly annoyed now.

"I went there just before I drove away with dad."

"You mean just few minutes ago? Claire, I saw you came out of the house, bid me goodbye and sat in the car. I was there, talking with dad."

"Jake..but" I was dreaming, of course it had to be my dream. "Uh.. never mind. I'll talk to you later."

"Claire? You OK?"

"Yup! I'm fine." You know that was a lie. A big fat lie.

"If you can, meet mom before you go away." This 'go away' felt weird, very weird.

"I'll do that. Bye."

"I'll miss you." and with that he ended the call.

I stared my cell for a few seconds. I know I was going to miss him too. When I first came to know that our strong family bond was not at all strong, I broke down. I was not able to believe that my dad won't be living with us anymore. But now, my family is divided into two halves. Will was right, Jake ain't that strong and neither is mom. We're all weak somewhere when it comes to fighting for life.

"Dad, I want to meet mom before we go to Rivera."

"Sure, 'Sands & Witches' is near the hotel I am staying."

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I saw the flashes of my dream. The backyard, the gravestone, the name. I guess all my fictional characters and my dramatic life was messing up my brain. This Ander Booth has to be some villain of a book I recently read. But I couldn't just ignore it. I was trying to completely shut my brain and stop thinking.

Orange Penguin!

Aria always advised to imagine an orange penguin when I feel like I was having a panic attack. Somewhere between thinking about an orange penguin and my excitement to meet Aria again, we reached the restaurant. The restaurant was in the main town while my house was on the outskirts.

Dad said he'd rather wait in the car. I agreed. I called mom and asked where she was. My mom did office work for the restaurant while Aunt Holly was a waitress. She told me to wait outside. I used this time to ogle the restaurant.

The first word that came to my mind when I saw the restaurant was: huge. It looked like those opulent restaurant where you go once in a lifetime. Why would someone name it 'Sands & Witches' for such a formal, luxurious place? The guy's gotta be a cool dude. I didn't know Monroes were this rich. I mean, wow.

"Hey Claire!" mom called out as she came out of the front door of restaurant.

"Hey Mom!" I said as I hugged her. Our relationship was not exactly hugging types but I did that anyway. I knew I wasn't going to meet her anytime soon.

"Claire, are you OK? I'm.. We're both sorry.."

"I'm fine, mom." I just wanted a simple goodbye. I didn't want to make it tough for any of us. "I just don't like Havendell."

'Don't lie, Claire. You love it here.' a voice echoed in my head and I'm sure it was unfamiliar. That was definitely not my subconscious.

"It's OK, dear. You are free to choose. Just call me if you need anything." she caressed my cheek.

"I will, mom. I.. I love you mom." I said genuinely.

"I love you too, sweetie." and I guessed it was..it.

I was finally leaving tomorrow. I was free. Nothing would stop me and I was sure of that. And if I trust my gut feelings, I was taking the right decision.

Mom hugged me and kissed my forehead. And then, she turned and went away. I just looked the entrance of the restaurant. The huge signboard above it was flashing brightly. But something caught my attention. And that made the ground beneath my feet move by yards.

A small line consisting of few words made my inner walls go crazy.

Sands & Witches
Since 1932 - Founder: Ander Booth