Chapter 24 - A Night to Remember

I heard whispers. I heard so many people talking with muffled voices outside my room. I didn't know that dad had called people over at our house.

I got up, took off my blanket and switched on the lights again. My room was pretty chilled as if it was winter. I got near the door and the voices got louder. I opened my door. It was completely dark and empty. I got in the hallway.

The hallway leads to the living area. Dad's room and the kitchen were on the other side of the living while a small guest room was on the opposite side of my room.

But, the whole house was dark. And there was no one except dad and me. The voice might be coming from the street. I turned around and went back into my room when I heard a strong masculine voice calling my name. My feet stuck to the floor and my fingers around the knob. The voice vibrated through every vein in my body.

"Claire.." it was a mere whisper coming from the other end of hallway.

I took a step back and craned my neck to see who was calling me. I saw someone standing in the hallway's end. I stepped into the hallway and stared the silhouette of a tall man.

I was wondering why was I drawn to that figure while my feet took automatic steps towards him. Those yellowish eyes sparkled in the dark which attracted me like a moth who's attracted by fire. I stopped myself when I reached into the living room.

The tall figure took small steps towards me, his eyes focused on my little fragile self.

"There's no going back." he said in a sharp voice.

And then I was surrounded by various noises. There were screams, loud cries; some were shouting, cursing, praying, begging. The noise flooded from all four sides. It made my knees tremble. I sat on the carpet with a thud. I tightly shut my ears to stop the voices from drowning me. I squeezed my eyes shut. I panicked and shouted,

"Stop it!"

And then I heard nothing. I heard silence. Dark, black silence. I open an eye and found darkness around me. And then opened both of my eyes and look around. I was alone. I removed my hands from my ears and clutched my chest where my heart was beating at a raging speed. I got up, with my knees still weak, and gushed to my room as fast as I can.

"Claire, you listening to me?" Next day Aria came to meet me and check on me.

"Um.. yeah." I replied. Although I wasn't. I was still recalling my memories from yesterday.

"Great! Now go get ready."

"Why?"

"We just decided we're going out! We wasted our 4th but we're not going to waste the rest of our holidays!"

"ARIA!"

"Blah..Blah.. I'm not listening."

I groaned loudly as she pulled me off the couch and dragged me to my room. After two hours, we were at a dance club wearing short skirts, straightened hairs and heavy makeup.

Aria dragged me on a dance floor and advised to forget the world and let the music hypnotize me. After two songs, I was feeling better. We got tired and she dragged me to a table. I sat on a chair while she went to bring some drinks for us.

"Hey Claire!" I first I didn't hear the voice due to loud hip hop music. It was Brandon, Aria's boyfriend.

I gave a lame 'hey' when he grabbed a chair and sat beside me. And soon, I saw my ex Mark did the same. He sat on the other side of Brandon and shrugged at me.

"So, are you enjoying?" Brandon tried to make a conversation.

"I was.. until now."

"Hi!!" Aria shouted as soon as she saw Brandon. She rushed over to him and lightly pecked on his lips.