Chapter 34 - Confession

I jumped out of my bed, and snatched open my window curtains to look out. Jake stood down with Rick and few officers informing them something. I didn't care I was wearing thin pajama and top, I ran down bared feet. When I opened the backyard door and went near them, I heard Rick sobbing. Effing, his dad died because he came here to fix our fuse box. My stomach did a crazy somersault.

My eyes were already filling with pools of tears as I stood beside Jake. He caught my hand and squeezed it. The two tall officers asked me questions one after the other and my autopilot answered, explaining he came to fix the box and went outside. Of course I didn't mention any paranormal happenings as they won't believe it. It is hard to make someone believe about those things only you experience.

The old officer squeezed Rick's shoulder and both of them went away. It was still dark. Some people gathered down the lake, the place where Rick's dad- Eric's body was found. I gazed into Rick's eyes, apologizing him but he turned his head towards the ambulance parked in Will's backyard and went that way.

"A couple informed the cops when they saw Eric jumping into the lake." Jake said in a low whisper, "He was fine when he left us. Happy, in fact. He went straight down after he left the house, Claire. What happened when he came here?"

Tears trickled down my face. I tried to wipe them off, when I saw Will standing near the backyard door of his house. His eyes were glued to me, his hands folded to his chest.

"I don't know." I said with a sob.

I went back inside the house and when I tried shutting the back door, someone's foot held the door. Will peeked his head first and entered.

"Will you listen to me now?" he stood in front of me, his eyes locked to mine.

I grunted, "What?"

"There's someone who can help us."

"Us? Me. Me, Will. I am the one who needs help, not you." I hunched my shoulders and walked towards the living room.

He let out a sad chuckle. "You don't understand."

"Will-" I turned around to face him when he caught my forearms and gazed into my eyes. His face was inches away from me. His warm breathe brushed my cheeks. Every part of me lit up due to his closeness. He leaned towards me until his lips reached mine. And then, he kissed me. The world stopped for a second- with just me and him in that moment. My heart drummed against his hard chest, my knees wobbled. It was just a peck. Before I could respond, he jerked back, leaving much space between us.

"It matters, Claire. You matter." he said in a mournful tone.

I gazed him with my stunned eyes, wondering if that moment actually happened. I matter to him like he does to me! He is willing to risk for me. I wanted him to take me in his arms and soothe me, tell me it will be okay. But, I know he can't. Because, it can't be okay. Not easily. This was the yin-yang kind of moment. On one hand, this was a third attack on someone I know- someone who cares for me or trying to help me. And on the other hand, Will - the hot, arrogant neighbor- the guy on whom I developed a crush, kissed me and confessed that he cares for me.

"Rick's dad said he latched my soul- Ander Booth. I can't escape-" Just thinking about Rick and what happened to his dad breaks my heart. Rick was all alone now. Because of me.

"I know. You have to come with me."

I took a step towards him and asked, "Where?"

"You trust me?" I nodded.

He grabbed my wrist and tagged me with him towards the main door. "Keys?" he asked.

I picked dad's car key from the key holder and he continued dragging me along with him.

"Where are we going?" I asked again. He sat in the passenger seat while I took the steering wheel.

"To my great-grandmother's house."

I looked at him. With messy morning hairs and tired eyes, he still looked cute- no, hot. But, he was serious. What can his great grandmother do?

He continued, "We are not on speaking terms, but she knows more about this house."

I drummed the wheel as I drove into the darkness. The sun was about to peek and light up the sky. But we have to wait for that. He gave me the directions and I followed. Other than that, we remained silent. He didn't look at me, not once. Like he regretted our precious moment this morning. Yes, he did regret it.

He continued his thoughtful look on his face while my mind wandered to Eric. What was his fault? Why was he killed? Cops would never find out the real murderer. Rick will never know what happened to his dad.

"Right."

"What?" I asked, squinting my eyebrows with confusion.

"Take the right turn."

I raised my brows and said, "Oh." He shook his head in disgust.

By the time we reached our destination, the sky had lit up and it was officially morning. I was still bare footed wearing my PJs. I waited for Will to get out after I turned off the ignition, but he didn't.

"You're not gonna come?" I pointed towards the old house with a swing on the porch, the house of his great-grandmother.

"No." He shrugged.

I stared him, waiting for clarification. He folded his hands and looked out of the window.

"No? What do you mean? What am I gonna say to her? What if she asks about you-"

He jerked his neck back towards me and said in a firm tone, "Don't tell her you know me. Or I sent you. Just go inside, meet her. She'll explain everything."

"What if she refuses to meet me? What if she denies to explain-"

"She will." he shouted. I raised my eyebrows at him. What's his problem? I groaned and slid out of the car, making sure I slammed the door loud enough. Why does he act as if he cares for me and then acts like a jerk the next moment? He's confused and feared just like me, a voice tells me.

I open the small gate and walked towards the porch. A young lady opened the door before I reached it.

"What brings you here?" she asked in an annoyed tone.

"I'm here to meet Mrs. Monroe." I hesitated. I know nothing about her or if she's even Mrs. Monroe.

"She's asleep. Come back later." She said and closed the door.

"But it's about Ander Booth." I said to the door.

I sighed. Why would she let a stranger meet some old lady? I hunched my shoulders and turned back. Before I took any step further, I heard the door open again.

"She wants to meet you." the young lady said to my back.

I smiled a little and walked into the house. The house smelled like milk and soaps. It was well organized. The lady led me through a hallway to the room at the end.

"Theodora? The girl's here." the young lady said when we entered the room. Theodora sat on a chair near the window, drinking something from her cup.

"Claire." She sighed and looked up at me. My feet planted in the floor when I realize who was she. She was the old lady who gave me the amulet when I was leaving Havendell.

___________________________________________________________

I have so much to improve- scene wise, character wise, description wise. I'll make sure I'll fix it all in rewriting & editing process. But, THANK YOU for reading and your amazing support- EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU. #GRATEFUL